Friday, October 12, 2007

W00t, casual deck!

Okay, I have been kicking around UW Fish in my head for like, um, 12 months (i.e. since TS released) without doing anything about it. Here's a decklist that has gone 4-0 (Yes, I know thats not impressive, but it's better than the 0-4 I got out of Living End) since I built it for like 6 tix 2 hours ago.

4 Flying Men
2 Loxodon Warhammer
3 Remand
4 Suntail Hawk
4 Unstable Mutation
4 Azorius First-Wing
4 Drifter il-Dal
4 Jotun Grunt
4 Looter il-Kor
3 Mana Tithe
4 Think Twice

7 Plains
10 Island
3 Azorius Chancery

The Grunts and Warhammers are the most expensive things in here. I think its good to be reminded how fucking insanely good the bouncelands are. Yes, even in constructed (at least where people aren't playing boomerang). Looter feeds Grunt quite nicely. Just saying. I think there might be cause to put Unsummon in here to forge a path. I actually have yet to cast a Think Twice, though I did discard one to a Looter once.

Game 1-Opponent concedes on turn 5 to a board consisting of Flying Men, Suntail Hawk, Jotun Grunt * 2(only one of whom could be fed) and Drifter il-Dal.

Game 2-CounterBurn slows me down a couple turns and opponent concedes on turn 8 at 1 life.

Game 3-Opponent concedes after manascrew.

Game 4-Opponent concedes on turn 5 with lethal on the stack. Double Unstable Mutation draw.

What does it lose post rotation? Remand and Azorius First-Wing. There are lots of replacements for the First-Wing (Serra Avenger comes to mind). I don't know if it's possible to replace Remand though. Sheesh.

3 comments:

Matt said...

I think we are something like 8-2 now. One loss to mono-U pickles (in teh casual room, natch). He locked me when he was at 6 life. Psi Blast? One loss to mana issues, which I would imagine is going to happen in a 20 land deck with no rare duals. I may try to turn it into an actual Merfolk deck for states. Then I can run the UW land. Sideboard ideas anyone?

Defender in Exile said...

Delay replaces Remand. You may not draw, but it truly retards their plan of attack. As fr what replaces Az First Wing? Best I have with merfolk is Silvergill as it draws a card.

Matt said...

Hmm, Silvergill is def an option if I decide to turn this into actual Fish. I haven't explored that at all though.

Delay is probably better than Familiar's Ruse due to the mana. But oh are hard counters nice.