Wednesday, October 3, 2007

I heart RGD

I am probably going to become known as the dude who is unreasonably obsessed with obsolete formats but, dy-amn do I love RGD sealed and draft (and how I wish we could go back in time and have a real block constructed season1). I started playing right when 9th Edition came out so Ravnica was my first large set. (My initial reaction? Why the hell are people so excited about Temple Garden?) I had actually learned way back when Invasion was the current set and I still own about 4 precons from back then, but I didn't have anyone to play with and quickly set it down. I knew that multicolor was cool and that Ravnica was supposed to be the multicolor set, but wow did this ever knock my socks off. The guild model is absolutely genius, and forces incredibly interesting decisions in sealed and draft. Personally, I am a big fan of opening giant wurms and beating face with them. Your mileage may vary. The only high level event I have ever attended was GP:St. Louis, where, at one point, I was 3-1 and looking like a strong chance for Day 2, with no byes. Admittedly I washed out from that point, but considering my record at FNM is rife with last place finishes, it was pretty awesome.

So why am I talking about this? Because the local store has Olde Fart Magic Night on Tuesdays. It's a sealed league and this month, we opened whichever block we wanted. Me? I wanted one last spin around the block(heh) with RGD. I've gone 2-0 with my deck so far which features Niv-Mizzet and Glint-Eye Nephilim colors (though no glint-eye itself). Remand, Last Gasp2, Pyromatics, Vedalken Dismisser, Hit/Run, etc. I am convinced it is impossible to lose a game in which Vedalken Dismisser hits the table. More importantly than the power level is just being able to play all your cards. I am four color with 16 land and 2 signets. So sweet. I have yet to stumble on mana in 5 games. Sometimes I think we should all just switch to Duel Masters. Then again, would we get such enjoyment out of smooth mana if it didn't usually suck? Who knows. Not me.

I am totally going in on at least a box of each once the rotation happens. I am actually going to try to swing 2 of each. Anybody wanna help fund that?

...Yeah, I didn't think so. Anyways, RGD draft at my house in 2009!

1And you better believe the people in Renton wish it as well. back
2Have you seen Nameless Inversion? Since when does black get the flowstone effect? I've seen it in artifacts, but Black? back

2 comments:

Defender in Exile said...

The birth of the 5c draft format. I remember running U/R/B/w/g decks with ease on 14 lands with lots of 5&6 drops.

T1 amazing one drop.
T2 Signet.
T3 Wayfinder/Seal, bounceland.
T4 Ogre Savant
T5 Dismisser
With various Peel from Realities and such to cause problems.

Aaah, memories.

coyoeuglly said...

i beat owen in the finals of a gp trail with a deck that featured something like 5 simic initiates multiple taste of mayhem 2 ledgewalker and 4 scab clan mauler.