Sunday, October 7, 2007

So I was playing with the U/R Control deck on MWS and it is pretty terrible. As far as I'm concerned the deck is scarped unless someone can fix it. So I proxied this up and played it this weekend at FNM, SNM and for about 5 hours today with Tyler...

4 Damnation
3 Mystic Teachings
3 Shriekmaw
3 Careful Consideration
2 Oblivion Ring
2 Aeon Chronicler
2 Tendrils of Corruption
1 Fairies Trickery
1 Haunting Hymn
1 Pact of Negation
1 Terror
1 Void
1 Grim Harvest
1 Strangling Soot
1 Slaughter Pact
1 Teferi's Moat
1 Triskelavus

4 Prismatic Lens
3 Coalition Relic

4 River of Tears
3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
3 Terramorphic Expanse
3 Snow-covered Island
3 Snow-covered Swamp
2 Tolaria West
2 Dreadship Reef
1 Snow-covered Plains
1 Underground River
1 Academy Ruins
1 Urza's Factory

Sideboard:

2 Teferi's Moat
1 Ancient Grudge
1 Return to Dust
2 Pull from Eternity
3 Detrivore
3 Extripate
1 Jace Beleren
2 Ajani Goldmane

The sideboard is in no way final...

I've made a ton of small changes to the deck already. Some include:

The 4th Sheikmaw became a Terror because sometimes I really want to be able to tutor for one.

The 2nd Slaughter Pact became Strangling Soot.

Beacon of Destruction became Void.

The 2 Cryptic Commands became a Fairies Trickery, and a Grim Harvest (this card is INSANE). Triple blue is also really hard to come by especially if your trying to do other things.

The 3rd Aeon Chronicler and Teferi became 2 Oblivion Rings. Teferi just doesn't do enough vs anything and I never find myself Mystical Teachings for it.

I would definitely like someone to dissect the mana base for me. I think I have it close... it just doesn't seem like it plays out quite right.

So far from testingim going 50/50 against aggro in general... about about 60/40 against control. The Greater Goyf match up can definitely be rough. If they get a Gargadon early its really rough. U/G Tempo is winnable if i can kill there early Looters and Ohran Vipers. Other aggro decks are slightly in my favor. Plainswalkers in genearl are pretty hard to deal with, hence the 2 main deck Oblivion Rings. I would like something better against them so they can't just board in enchantment destruction and blow me out.

Any thoughts or questions on it greatly appreciated as always.

3 comments:

coyoeuglly said...

Me thinking = bad... mabye?

What if I cut Trikbus and something for Bogardan Hellkite and a Momentary Blink? It gives the deck a way to finish quickly which it is definitely lacking. This is very important in the mirror where games tend to go very long.

I'm just not sure that Trikebus + Chronic is cutting it. I wouldn't mind cutting both the Trikebus and the Chronics for something else.

Also... peoples thoughts on trying to squeeze in a main deck Extirpate?

TooSarcastic said...

Depending on the meta, maybe bounce comes in from the board against greater goyf. Snapback on gargs seems fine. A thought, at least.

Captain Essex said...

I would think about Tombstalker as a win con, he comes down for 2 or 3 most of the time you want him to, and he's big evasive, and avoids terror, shriekmaw and the like.

If extirpate is a consideration, why not just play durress, aside from the $20 price tag?

If you're really concerned about the GG matchup, Ajani is a beatings against aggro. He absorbs SO much damage, and gains life in the process, I absolutely love the guy.

The Faerie Trickery can def be a Cancel, same spell, and you won't get randomly blown out by a Faerie/Changeling.

Any reason for play 4 lens and 3 relics?