Thursday, October 4, 2007

It's the end of the world, boys.

Have you louts seen this shit? Unbelievable. The small child that everyone loves to hate, Owen Turtenwald himself, has written a review of Lorwyn's red cards on the somewhat respectable Brainburst.com . The boy is like what, 15? He's on his way to one measly Pro Tour and now he's getting writing gigs. Here's the thing; he's not really half bad. Now before you shout me down, let me explain. No, his article is not Flores-esque beauty. It ain't even Peter Jahn-esque solid writing (man is from the WI. Gots to give him a little credit). But picture in your head the smelly, profane, and cocky sumbitch who we all know as Owen and you see that this kid is a fucking Voltaire given where he had to start. I don't know about you guys, but I'm willing to read him. Some of his metaphors are strained, and he seems to be obsessed with some marginal combo, but I listened to Owen when he talked about strategy in person, even though he was arrogant and a dick. The kid usually saw interactions that I had missed, and was thinking about two levels above me strategy-wise. The fact that his article is almost unreadably long is a function not of his writing style but of the assignment given him (or did he have to beg for it? We don't know). Besides, you can't blame a guy for writing incredibly long, boring magic treatises. Really, his article (which admittedly has had the advantage of being professionally edited) is on par with the best of what being written over here and ya'll know it. I haven't played with the new set and so have no place criticizing his analysis, but I saw little that raised my eyebrows; most of it seemed spot-on. But hey, I want to know what you guys think. Does he suck? Should he never write again? Does this make him somewhat redeemable? Is it possible our little asshole is... maturing? Wait, check out the last little throwaway paragraph at the end of the article. Owen seems compelled to remind us all that he went 7-1 at the prerelease- and won two boxes of Lorwyn as a result. Totally gratuitous bragging. Well, maybe things don't change.
T

4 comments:

coyoeuglly said...

I'm more apt to defend owen than alot of people. but i've also known him longer than most and get along with him better than alot of people. i would assume that throwing in that last paragraph was definitly part bragging. but it is also his first article for a premier site (he also wrote for londes and is probably going to do some amount of writing for mtgchicago.com) and gives creditability to his opinion.

owen is also notrious for being off in his opinion of cards in new sets so take his opinion with a grain of salt.

Defender in Exile said...

The fact that we are talking about the little shit AND linking to his article violates my ethics.

Bye bye blog.

Matt said...

Oh, no you din't. You realize referring to my posts as long and boring is like a challenge. And I always rise to challenges.

I fracking hate set reviews. This is no different. Owen's writing on Londes was fucking terrible. TS is way off on this post. But I forgive him.








As long as he refrains from calling me boring anymore.

TooSarcastic said...

CBG- Dude, look more closely. Your article is labeled long. Which it certainly was. MINE was boring. Also accurate.