Thursday, April 17, 2008

New Big Set!!

If you can't tell by the title that I am excited, then you don't have a pulse. While I am a casual player at heart, I enjoy going to a prerelease more than anything, with Big Sets taking top billing. I am not a morning person, but will gladly get up before the sun so that I can be in one of the first pods in some far off location (this time Chicago's west side). I am not quite sure which I enjoy more, sealed Big Set Prerelease or draft Big Set Prerelease.

While I do intend to agree with Coyote that Wizards is being obvious with some of the new game mechanics, I won't let that curb my enthusiasm (and for the record that show is absolutely awful and unfunny). I will gladly sit down with my bag of hundreds of counters and shuffle up with everyone else.

As far as going to Madison versus Chicago debate, to me it is a choice between: Quality Judging (Madison) & less competitive play (Chicago) (When I say less competitive play I mean fewer players who take this too seriously, after all it is a prerelase not a PTQ, i.e. fewer jerks). To me personally, I am on the fence and could go either way. However for others it is a mater of Geography. Our play group is scattered around the metro area and for some Chicago is closer and others Madison is closer. What really complicates this is that Madison's location is constant and Chicago's location moves around.

I won't really get in to the specifics of the cards, as I haven't been really paying too much attention to the previewed cards specifically. I tend to take the view that the individual cards aren't as import to know, as having an understanding of the mechanics and potential synergies, when going into a prerelease. Call it flawed if you must but that is my opinion.

Well, to those of you going to the prerelease, safe travels, may you get passed good cards (if you do deck swaps, if not may you open well), but most importantly have fun.

3 comments:

Scoop_Phase said...

This is also a nice benefit from the Illinois pre-release:

GO INFINITE!! - never pay for another draft all weekend!!
In addition to packs first place will receive there choice of a free flight or booster draft! If you keep winning - you don't have to pay!!

Booster Draft price: $18.00

coyoeuglly said...

generally i have found chicago to be filled with more jerks... but that is just my personal experience.

TooSarcastic said...

One other plus for Chicago- you are generally not sitting in a warehouse on hard plastic chairs wedged in as closely as possible. At least not the times that I have gone. They have been in carpetted convention centers with padded chairs and ample room. Being comfortable for 8-12 hours of play is beginning to rank up there on the list for me. I am getting old and arthritic!