Thursday, April 24, 2008

Last month of Morningtide Sealed, Part 4

Despite having gone to the Shadowmoor prerelease last Saturday, I was still looking forward to Tuesday night Old Fart Magic. I think that I may have started to turn the tide in the war against mana screw. I only mulliganed once in 6 games this past week.

As far as my two matches, all but one of the games was really good. My three game set against the Captain was by far one of the better limited matches I’ve played in a while. Winning the clash on Gilt-Leaf Ambush to get rid of his Taurean Mauler and his other guy was key to turning around a game in which I had few outs (Some times you just get lucky).

My second match really came down to Ed (Tesch) not getting Taurean Mauler with his Elvish Harbinger on turn 3 of the first game and instead getting Wren Run Packmaster (he forgot that Elvish Harbinger can make red mana as he had no other red sources in play). He did manage to crush me in the second game (this would be the one that wasn’t even close). The third game was really tight until I got down Wolf-Skull Shaman, Bramblewood Paragon, & Lys Alana Huntmaster (getting free 2/2 wolves every time you kinship an elf and then getting a free 2/2 trampler every time you play an elf spell is ridiculous).

As far as the final week, here is the pack of Lorwyn:

Oblivion Ring
Quill-Slinger Boggart
Bog-Strider Ash
Aethersnipe
Tarfire
Gilt-Leaf Seer
Protective Bubble
Ingot Chewer
Amoeboid Changeling
Spring Cleaning
Veterans of the Depths
Makeshift Mannequin*
Jagged-Scar Archers*
Fathom Trawl
Island (foil)

Cards of note:
Jagged-Scar Archers warrants serious consideration in my mostly mono green elf deck.

Makeshift Mannequin seems like an interesting combat trick or way to recur Shriekmaw at instant speed.

Moving along to tonight, current plans are to draft Shadowmoor tonight @ CBGs. I am sure that CBG will do the post mortem tomorrow, but I would just like to send out a special thanks to Scoop Phase for hooking me up with two more draft sets of Shadowmoor.

1 comment:

Matt said...

I may even do complete coverage if an odd number of people show up. I have a hankering for more content!