Friday, April 18, 2008

A Speedy Note on Shadowmoor Sealed

I might as well throw this out before the Prerelease, in case I'm actually right. Is anyone else concerned about how fast Shadowmoor Limited formats are going to be? Judging from the cards we've seen so far, numerous color combinations have incredibly aggressive early drops at uncommon, moreso than any format I can recall. I assume the commons will be less awesome, but DAMN. Just looking at officially spoiled cards, Wasp Lancer, Ashenmoor Gouger, Tattermunge Witch, Inkfathom Infiltrator, Wilt-Leaf Cavaliers, Tattermunge Maniac, Plumeveil, and of course, Kitchen Finks, are all uncommon! Hell, Ballynock Cohort and the tempo machine Aethertow are COMMON! Will it all be over by turn 6? In sealed?! I know Evan Erwin is telling you to always draw in sealed, but I think this might be a format to be on the play. Think about a mono green draft deck with Tattermunge Witch and Maniac, Cavaliers, Finks and maybe a Wilt-Leaf Leige at rare. Don't worry about color fixing. You're mono. Just curve out, turn five Tower Above FTW. I personally will not be keeping any slow hands tomorrow, especially if I am on the draw.
T

7 comments:

Scoop_Phase said...

TS, I was just looking over the spoiler thinking how slow this format might be. I could be wrong. It's just there is a lot of -1/-1 counter manipulation/creation which is a lot of inherent creature removal so I figured it would slow down the early rush because the x/1 and even x/2 butts will be picked off rather easily. Like I said, I definitely could be wrong.

TooSarcastic said...

Maybe we'll both be right and it will be... average speed?

Rob M said...

Just because Evan Erwin said it, doesn't mean it's right. It's not like he's a good player or anything lol. He way oversimplified that and was flat out wrong on almost all of his tips. Sometimes(not often) it is ok to play 41 cards, especially with Beseech the queen being in this format. Another thing he is wrong about, is when he said you should always go second. If your deck is good, and I mean GOOD, that timewalk can make all the difference. I went 3-0-1 in the sealed and went first every chance I could get.

In other words: Evan Erwin Coverage > Evan Erwin Advice

TooSarcastic said...

I also went first when I had the choice, playing a mostly agressive G/B build. I'm going to write about the sealed pool for Tuesday, so I don't want to talk too much about it now, but I do think there are fast enough answers to big threats that control decks can have a chance to drag out the game, stabilizing. The format (as it appears now) seems pretty balanced between speed and bombs.

coyoeuglly said...

Historically I default to play game one if I win the die roll unless I have very good reasons not to (i.e. scouting). This is because I hate getting randomly curved out by my opponent if he has a very good/fast deck.

Games two and three are dependent completely based on what I saw in the previous games. Also my opinion on my opponents play skill matters to. If I think I am capable out of playing him the entire time I will generally draw for games 2 and 3.

The Captain said...

This format is slow for sealed. I have a susicion it may get a little faster for draft. Also, i am inclined to say that playing is still the better option, but that may just be because of the deck i was playing. I found that I did much better being a turn ahead instead of a card ahead, and went 4-0 in my sealed pod with a solid but not incredibly broken deck.

coyoeuglly said...

The only other situation I will draw first in Sealed game one is if I think my mana will be shakey.