Friday, March 21, 2008

The Unbearable Lightness of Being Captain Bondage Goth

As most of you know, I won a draft last weekend. Just saying.

----

The Experiment Kraj EDH has been rebuilt. It is now Momir Vig. There is card drawing, a little bit of tutoring, some toolbox, and more card drawing. I think it is going to be good, as long as everyone doesn't kill me as soon as I flash a Dismiss. When I played against Captain_essex's Erayo deck, he pissed everyone off in very short order. Somehow I am going to have to avoid doing that.

Playing counterspells in EDH is a pretty iffy proposition to be honest with you, but it's pretty much the only answer UG has to Armageddon effects, so I am gonna roll with it.

----

Let's talk about the morality of helping out the "enemy". I have discovered that Fugie and I disagree on a lot of things, which is fun, because he's not an asshole. Most people I disagree with are assholes*. He implied earlier this week that the Captain (no relation) and Hot Sauce shouldn't have been giving advice to some random who was about to play Fugie. Cappy said if Fugie couldn't beat a dude with his deck built right, he didn't deserve to win. I think it's a little more complicated than that. Players at sealed tourneys always get advice in between rounds about how they should be sideboarding and how the deck might be misbuilt. I don't think Fugie had a problem with this aspect of it. He seems to be hung up on the idea of our crew being a tight knit little group that supports one another. But I think it's entirely possible that you can support your homies and still give advice.

How did you get better? Did you figure everything out yourself? Card advantage? Who's the beatdown? Lifegain is trash (Except when it's not, thanks Faith's Fetters)? Wait to cast yr instants? Blocking is loose?

The first couple times I played sealed tourneys, I always showed my pool to the guys I played after the match and asked 'em how they would have built it. Seeing how someone else builds is critical to moving forward and getting better. Getting better is how you win. Winning (at least some of the time) is how to have fun. The person who likes getting pounded into the carpet and keeps coming back is a rare bird indeed. I guess what I am saying here is, advice is about community building. Defining anybody as "the enemy" and withholding information from them raises barriers. Magic as a community just doesn't need any more barriers. It is complicated, expensive as hell, unfriendly towards women, not electronic, and addictive. Do we really need clique-ish behavior on top of that?

----

Meanwhile, back at the draft...

My favorite game was the last one, when I killed the Captain with a Shard Volley off the top (so lucky) and he looks at his scorepad, looks at me and says, "I didn't think you were going to win that." Neither did I, Cap. Neither did I.

*Yes, this is a comment about myself. My lack of opinion of myself is enormous. Or vacuous. Or something.

Edited for clarity after rereading Fugie's Monday post.

13 comments:

The Captain said...

As i said then- it's not that I felt like you didn't deserve to win...I just wasn't expecting it to happen that game.

I believe that the man just sideboarded the card in. It wasn't anything against fugie. Hell, i didn't even realize that he would be the guys next opponent at the time. I would help anyone in that situation. I was helping my first round opponent during our match. Smashing face feels great, right up until the people stop coming because they don't have fun. Then you just sit at the store alone and wonder where all the cowboys went.

Defender in Exile said...

My point in the land of inclusiveness is this. At a PTQ, if you lose to a guy who is about to play a buddy for the win, feel free to tell him how to build it right AFTER the tourney.

In my nature a win is a win, and especially in sealed - as open dependent as it is - each win with a mediocre pool (which mine most certainly was) is a sign of skill.

In the end, I didn't get outplayed, I lost to card. And I wouldn't have lost to card had two of the bloggies not stepped in.

As it was a tournament, I question if the same thing would have been done if those involved knew he was about to play the winner of CBG and I for a blue envelope.

If the answer is yes, then I can not complain, for then the rules are the same for anyone, anywhere.

If the answer is no, then I have a problem.

Defender in Exile said...

Also, Kundera's book paints a picture about women that seems to be true for everyone but me.

Tabasco said...

I asked the guy right after he beat me to look at his pool and to see what he wasn't playing to find Sunforger and a second Galvanic Arc.

I told him that you always play equipment especially something like +4/+0 with the nature of his deck. ( He had things like Scab-Clan Mauler and Skarrgan Pit-Skulk along with things that trample.)

I didn't take into account who he would be playing after me, but regardless they would both be 2-0 and would get a FNM foil anyway.

I was merely trying to help another player get better at the game and show him possibilities he missed.

Tabasco said...

Please tell me Voidslime is in your list CBG.

Tabasco said...

Oh and Crystal Shard is serious tech.

use it with E. Witness (probv)
use it with Mystic Snake (reusable Counterspell)
use it with Venser, Shaper Savant or Man-o-war (bounce majiks)

Draining Whelk is the Nuts!

rawk lobster!!!

Matt said...

Re: Captain. I know what you meant. And I agreed. I really don't know quite how I got to 20.

Re: Fugie. Well, I think there is a difference between a PTQ and the new store struggling to get 8 on Fridays. A dude who is not playing Sunforger and a second Galvanic Arc in his sealed pool wouldn't be playing you for a spot in the top 8. We can all pull together at the store level. How did you build up GU for heaven's sake? Also, I've unfortunately never read the book. Is it good?

Re: Hot Sauce. I don't have any Crystal Shards. I agree it's tech. I read about it in one of Pete's (I think) articles last week. Got one? No Voidslime. Yr probably right on that. Doesn't stop Disk though, which would be my want.

TooSarcastic said...

Super controversial! But I expected a link to the "Turkey Shoot" song! Even as the guy who went 1-2 at Cavalry I think we owe the more casual players over there good stewardship of the game. Whether the teaching happens in the round or at the end, we should avoid the (very large) part of our personalities that wants to be a dickhead to newer players. CBG has at least got that right.

coyoeuglly said...

Blocking is loose?

Anyone want to email me that article? I believe it was premium.

Personally I am a big fan of the block.

Matt said...

Blocking is loose is something jerks say, i.e. Flores. In some enviroments, people block. In others, not so much.

Tabasco said...

Voidslime reads:

Counter target spell, activated ability, or triggered ability. (Mana abilities can't be targeted.)

It counters Disk no matter if it is in play or being cast, it also does the same for P. Deed. Counterspell plus Stifle for 3 mana is some good!

Matt said...

...and then they untap and do it next turn. Because they didn't have to sacrifice the Disk. Disk is destroyed on resolution. You are right about Deed. But that's a little narrower and only played in one deck that I know of.

coyoeuglly said...

Yeah... but o boy can you fuck someone good :) it just seems like a card that can create infy blow out moments.