Thursday, March 20, 2008

We Totally Screwed The Pooch On The Vedalken Shackles Issue

So I was reading Ask the Judge this morning and his little rules tip reminder is

Rules Tip of the Day: The controller of a leaves-play triggered ability is the person who controlled the source of the ability when it left play.

This implies to me that the Captain and the rest of us were wrong on the Shackled Speedbump issue. So I go back to the Vedalken Shackles ruling page. We only looked at the first ruling

Q: I have a Vedalken Shackles stealing an opponent's Putrid Imp. He has multiple copies of Bridge from Below in his graveyard, and I'm wondering: if I can get the Putrid Imp killed, will my opponent get token creatures, or will Bridge from Below cards be removed from the game?

A: Cards always go to the graveyard of their owner. You may have controlled this creature when it left play, but it went to your opponent's graveyard. So your opponent will end up with 2/2 Zombie token creatures, and the Bridges from Below will remain in his graveyard.

But if you read Solemn Simulacrum's Oracle text, the relevant wording is undoubtedly,

When Solemn Simulacrum is put into a graveyard from play, you may draw a card.

Catch that? A graveyard, not your graveyard. In other words, we totally screwed the pooch on the Vedalken Shackles issue. I hereby apologize to Major_luck for so heartily having sexual relations with the dog, and will never listen to The Captain ever again (kidding! (rawk (robv))).

4 comments:

The Captain said...

I shall have to do more research...



...


this is relevant to my interests.

The Captain said...

I have not done said research yet, as I am at work. However, as clarification, the research will be on leaves play vs put into graveyard.

The Captain said...

The answer here is that the major was correct, but it has nothing to do with this "a graveyard, not YOUR graveyard" business. The relevant ruling is here.

Q: If my oppenent plays Control Magic on my Epochrasite and it dies, who gets to Suspend the Epochrasite from the triggered ability?

A: Your opponent will. Your opponent controlled the Epochrasite when it left play, so he will control its leaves-play triggered ability. When it died, it went to your graveyard, but the triggered ability does not care about that. As your opponent controlled its leaves-play triggered ability, he will remove the Epochrasite from the game and play it when it unsuspends.

It appears to me that "put into a graveyard" is merely a subset of leaves play abilities, and not a separate entity- we had all agreed that a "leaves play" ability would have triggered in the major's favor- meaning that he would have drawn the card.

Matt said...

Right. Pooch. Pregnant.