Thursday, March 13, 2008

The problem with EDH

There are two problems with EDH. One is that it's constructed, so I suck at it. The other problem is that it's awesome, so I keep beating my head against the wall. I reached a new low last night as I managed to Jokulhaups when all it would do is piss everyone off. Awk.

Still, it's a super fun format and I think I am going to keep playing as much as I possibly can so that I can get better. More familiarity with my deck and the ways in which it can win would help a lot. I played the Rakdos deck again last night, but I failed to Jokulhaups into Rakdos (which is always the right play). They might beat you from that position. Then again, they probably won't.

I am learning a ton about tutoring, slow accumulation of advantage, politics and killer enchantments (curse you, red-black. why do you taunt me so?). TooSarcastic is the unchallenged alpha male of the EDH playgroup. He's always dominating the board. He totally won last night when Tabasco should have blown him out. The captain failed to cast Debtor's Knell before each Jokulhaups effect. I think he will learn from this mistake. Major_luck and Fugie collaborated to...well, I am not sure what they were doing.

There is another project that intrigues me, which is taking my blue-green deck and modifying it to up the counterspelling. I am not planning on making a lock deck, just something where everybody asks me, "okay?" whenever they put a spell on the stack. What do you all think? Maybe 15 counters? That way, I should usually have one in hand, but not all the time. I might wanna add white for Swift Silence. But I think I am gonna stay UG and use Momir Vig.

Sorry about the brevity. I am focused on EDH right now and there isn't a ton to say.

Tabasco, if you want in on the 29th, you need to tell me like, now. There are only two seats left at the 8-man, and I have an idea for one of 'em.

6 comments:

TooSarcastic said...

Definitely the first time I have been alpha male of anything, ever.
T

Defender in Exile said...

I think we have all built our decks wrong. I'll talk more about it Monday.

major_luck said...

Our alliance was only flawed in that we didn't think the TS would Jokulhaups for the 2nd time. Also, I too was prepared to lay my own Debtor's Knell, if I didn't have to burn my Rout the turn before to get rid of Braids. I think there were really three events that made that game unwinable for me.

1. The Captain destroying the Nevinyrral's Disk.
2. Having to kill Braids with Rout.
3. TS playing a 2nd Jokulhaups.

Defender in Exile said...

It was the Jokulhaups, undeniably. And we have built our decks wrong. I will illuminate on Monday.

Tabasco said...

Really have we built our decks wrong?

Elaborate now dammit!!

The Captain said...

Attempting to correct sarcastic dominance with my new COMBO edh...soon to dominate a table near you, obv.