Thursday, March 27, 2008

Month in review

Well what a crazy month it's been. Between being deathly ill for three days (thanks again Fugie), the Easter Holiday, going to the new shop up in Whitefish Bay, and reworking my EDH, its been a pretty interesting March. However as crazy as it was, it was a fun ride.

I wouldn't recommend getting that awful virus that's going around, but have recommended checking out Calvary Games up in Whitefish Bay. Regardless of how close to a frozen turkey shoot it may be, the staff and local players are quite friendly and appear to be playing for the right reasons (I enjoy winning as much as the next guy, but play for the social interaction more than anything).

As far as EDH, I am starting to enjoy it a little more. Over the last couple of weeks, I managed to tune my Dromar deck a little more to include more reliable card draw and more clone effects. As last week Friday's marathon games proved, the only thing better than an Angel of Despair, are half a dozen Angels of Despair without the original actually entering play.

Last night TS, CGB, & I played a couple of three man EDH games to blow off a little steam and test out the latest iterations. Last night proved a couple of key things about all of our respective decks.

1. CBG's UG deck works significantly better in a three man than a four man.
This really comes down to counter spells being more effective with fewer people at the table. Also, with a high average number of board sweepers per deck in our play group, his deck can really shine in a three man game.

2. TS's WUR deck has a much tougher time in a three man than a four man.
His deck sees pretty much the opposite effect as CBG's. With fewer people at the table his hammers do less overall and his card advantage engine is not quite as efficient.

3. My BUW deck does about the same, but given the chance can do some really amazing things in a three man game.
My deck really does benefit most from only having two other people go before my next turn. I am also able to make better utilization of my more narrow answers (Swords to plowshares & Sudden Death, for example).

As far as future changes, TS really made a positive impression, on me, of the power of Momentary Blink and I'll need to seriously consider fitting it in some where. Also CBG's as well as Fugie's use of Academy Ruins makes me want to include one as well. However in my deck it would serve more as a way to recur Tormad's Crypt or to recover some key artifacts such as Journey's Kite or Citanel Flute post Disk.

Well starting next week I'll resume my coverage of Old Fart Magic night. April will be the last month of Lowryn Morningtide. Starting in May we'll be cracking Shadowmoor. Until then, may the Mana gods not hate you.

2 comments:

Matt said...

As much as I hate to admit it, Tormod's Crypt needs to go in my EDH. I am really leery of including too many artifacts in the deck (Duplicant, Crypt, Disk, Trike, Sitan, Cap) just because I think one of the fun things about the format is the wild differences between decks and artifacts really cut into that. That said...recursion is rampant and Crypt needs to get in.

TooSarcastic said...

Everything you said is right on. My deck is probably worse in a three man. CGB's deck is better. Blink seems good. Academy Ruins might be worth including in almost any deck with blue.
T