Monday, May 5, 2008

Evaluating the Middle Tier of Playable Cards in Shadowmoor Limited

The Shadowmoor Release Tourney was this Sunday and it’s safe to say that at this point we all know what the amazing bomb common and uncommon cards are for Shadowmoor Limited. I could list them, but it would be boring. I also don’t care which is better, Kitchen Finks or Aethertow (But just to get the comments rolling, Finks is the correct answer). What I do care about is filling in the15-20 non-obvious cards of a Limited deck. And that requires knowledge of how playable the middle tier cards are. I will list bullet points for a few common and uncommon cards, along with my opinion of their playablility, if I have any. Unfortunately most of these cards will not simply be lumped into “playable” or “unplayable” columns. Our understanding of Shadowmoor tech has advanced beyond that stage already. When are these cards playable, and when would they be better in the sideboard? Comments, good sirs.

Trip Noose

This card seems like a boon in a removal-light environment; after all, it gets in any deck! So what deck really wouldn’t mind paying 2 a turn to neutralize the scariest creature across the table? What about a tempo-based beatdown deck, at the end of a race? Or a control deck, before stabilizing? To be honest I think this card is better than people think.

Repel Intruders/Torrent of Souls/River’s Grasp/Dawnglow Infusion/Firespout

Okay, Firespout is really a no brainer. But Firespout aside… Is there any one you would run with only ONE of the colors, not both? Dawnglow Infusion seems like utter trash (no disrespect, Stream of Life!) in any deck but a G/W one. And Repel Intruders is decidedly suboptimal if only blue or white comes to party. Maybe Torrent of Souls in a B/x deck? What about River’s Grasp in a U/x deck? I would lean toward yes for the former and no for the latter.

Leech Bonder

Was great for my controlling U/B draft deck, but I saw 0 copies of him played on Sunday. Is he just not fast enough? Even in sealed?

Gnarled Effigy

Too slow? Too slow. Sideboard only against control decks? Is there a time to be happy playing this in the main? It is removal, after all.

Merrow Grimeblotter

This card has gotten mixed reviews from every person I’ve asked. After playing two of them in a U/W draft deck, I tend to lean toward thinking they’re not very good. Yes, they will trade with a 4-butt (or a couple 2 power guys, which I hear there are a lot of in this format), but if they do, then they die and do nothing else. The best case scenario for Merrow Grimeblotter’s controller is for it to not be blocked because an opponent either a) has no large guys, in which case, congrats you’re winning anyway, or b) has The Fear and lets you plink away for 2 a turn, totally ruining their combat math on the swingback, in which case, congrats, you’re playing a donkey. But most players will simply double block or trade a bigger guy to force the ability to be used on the attack. And rightly so, since Merrow Grimeblotter’s less useful that way. I don’t like him.

Blowfly Infestation

Seems like one hell of a gamble, even in a deck that is built around it. But, grumble, grumble, it IS removal…

Reknit

Terrible combat trick? Or reasonable combat trick in a weak card pool? Is it ever correct to run it to specifically regenerate non-creature permanents? I hear there are a few enchantments that are worth keeping around…

Hungry Spriggan

Hungry? So hungry! This Sunday I heard probably three players with a losing record remarking on how amazing Hungry Spriggan is. And several players in that made Top 8 (Asshole Jason and Tabasco) told me that it was not at all good. It does, after all die to any removal. But it was great for me! (You have a Godhead of Awe? Heh. I’ll just race you with this common.) Does that make me…? Don’t answer that.

Giantbaiting

Again I have heard differing opinions here. Asshole Jason (who, after thrashing me took a look at my pool) was not a fan (“It’s basically a really crappy removal spell, or at best direct damage, but your opponent chooses which one.”) but I think turning a few 2 power dudes into a few 4 power dudes for the turn is just fine. I would run this in an aggressive R/G or R/B deck. Would I be wrong to do so?

Elsewhere Flask

Man, they like this card on the MTG podcasts of GP Brussels, but what does Rich Hagon know about playing Magics? (Answer: Probably more than I do.) It juices Corrupt and Jaws of Stone! It cantrips! It turns on both sides of Firespout (if you tap carefully)! It slices! Dices! Feeds your dog! Gosh, when DON’T you run this amazing bomb ass artifact that does not in any way affect the board on its own? There’s a reason they call me TooSarcastic, folks.

The Duos

I wanted to end with these because I think they illustrate well how difficult it is to evaluate card power in the abstract. Of course a player can safely run a Safehold Duo in a W/G deck. What about a W/R deck? A G/B deck? How many cards does a player need to activate a duo before it becomes worth adding? Asshole Jason and (I believe) The Captain were advocating that I add 2 Thistledown Duos and a Somnomancer to my W/G sealed deck to speed it up. This would have put the total blue cards to 6 (I was playing 2 Curse of Chains and a Silkbind Faerie already) and my white card total to 13. Asshole Jason (who was really quite nice the whole day- it’s just a nickname) argued that the Duo would often be a 3/3 for 3 mana, and sometimes have flying. But doing the math, I would draw a card to trigger the white half of Thistledown Duo (assuming I drew and played the Duo already) a little less than a third of the time. If I start with Thistledown Duo in hand (obviously the best case scenario) then I will statistically have only one other white card in my opener as well (this is on the play, again, the best case scenario for an aggressive deck). This just does not seem good enough. But after I failed to side them in I lost both the last two rounds*, so maybe I’m mistaken. What do you think?

T

*The final round against Captain Essex was particularly awful since after a quick game where he was manascrewed we had a marathon second game that saw both of us with surreal life totals (Me, 50. Essex, 90 something). I scooped after it was clear he actually could kill me (either with damage or decking) with the 15 minutes left in the round. In a hurried game 3 where Essex was ahead on the board he cast Last Breath on one of my creatures. I moved it to the removed from game zone… where a creature that he had Last Breathed in game 2 was still sitting. Essex told me to shuffle it in my library, but I called a judge, by which I mean THE judge, e.g. The Fugitive Wizard. Fugie gave a game loss to the player who presented as illegal deck (that would be me, for having only 39 cards), and it turned into a match loss, which put Essex into top 8. I seemed less concerned than everyone else (Essex was not happy to make top 8 this way, and I think he would have taken the last game by his own effort), but I was tired (and hung over) and was not too disappointed in having to go home just then. Fugie obviously made the correct call, and the only reason I called a judge in the first place was because I didn’t feel like forcing Fugie to DQ me by trying to cover it up, if things ended up badly. Just to muddy the ethical waters I bit, I will note that Essex was playing on Fugie’s dime, and any prizes that Essex won he agreed to give to Fugie. Just out of curiosity, if there were other judges available, would you have let another official handle the ruling, Fugie? Or should it not matter? At any rate, my only regret about the whole day is that I worked very hard to play tight Magic for four or so rounds and then had my effort wasted by my own thoughtless errors. I obviously don’t play in large tourneys often, because I don’t deal well with the fatigue when I am forced to play more than four rounds. I considered writing the whole post as a tournament report, but I realized that people are far less interested in the tragic tale of a player who can’t break .500 at a release event than in finding out things that might actually be of use to them.

11 comments:

coyoeuglly said...

While I am with holding judgement on the Kitchen Finks vs AEthertow is pretty close. Although I think that Silkbind Faerie is better than both, and the best common in the set.

Burn Trail is second. That card is such a massive beating if you can convoke it.

Trip Noose: There is no way you could force me not play this card in sealed. Not even if Jon Finkel himself showed up and told me not to play it.

The red side of Firespout is obviously dumb. And the green half isn't a slouch either.

Torrent of Souls is a flat out win the game bomb. It is in contention for being the best uncommon in the set (after Incremental Blight). I would just play 1x or 2x of the needed land to power it up.

Repel Intruders is fine. I've played it in draft and have not been upset with it. Although it is pretty obvious when someone has it.

River's Grasp seems really really good. I haven't played it yet. I would definitely play it for the blue half in sealed. But not for just the black half. I think I need to start trying to draft it higher.

Leach Bonder: If I had the choice I would play Fate Transfer before this card. But even than I have yet to play Fate Transfer main. I keep wanting to, it just never seems to work out. Although I have been heavily sideboarding it in.

Merrow Grimeblotter: I agree this isn't very good. It could serve if you need a body. But this ability would be much stronger on a tap creature than an untap creature.

Blowfly Infestation: I wouldn't draft it very highly. But it seems like it could be quite a beating in the right deck. I wouldn't be against main deck it in sealed.

Reknit: I think this card is very very playable. Another card I probably should start drafting higher. But every time I have seen it in a pack there is just a better card in the pack. I have never had one make it back around the table to me either :( Although it is probably an auto include in any g or w sealed.

Hungry Spriggan is a guy I'm on the fence about. I havn't played him yet. But 4 power attackers for 3 are bad. And 1 power blockers for 3 are terrible. Which leads me to believe he should be amazing in an aggressive deck. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't play him in sealed if I had a choice.

Giant Baiting is probably one of those cards I'm just never going to play unless I am really short of playables. Or if I get a weird sealed that can abuse the card.

Elsewhere Flask is another card I probably will never play. It falls into the category of Springleaf Drum for me. It is not very good on it's own. And I would rather just play a better card in place of a cantrip. That is not to say if I open the double Corrupt double Jaws of Stone pool I won't play it.

I think all the Duo's are very playable and I would always include the in my sealed deck if they were in my colors. The u/w or r/g ones are probably the best.


Granted while 99% of the time I agree a judge should not make a call on something where he has a personal investment in it. In the case of you presenting a 39 card deck at any REL that is a game loss not matter the situation. And definitely because you were in the middle of the game already.

In this specific case there are no "ethical waters to muddy".

TooSarcastic said...

Thanks for your comments Coyoe.
T

Scoop_Phase said...

Does anyone know the final standings after the draft on Sunday?

I agree with Coyoeuglly, Edd made the right call. It sucked for everyone to see it happen, and I'm sure it sucked for Edd to make that ruling, but it's the right one.

coyoeuglly said...

Fist and Second split and it was Jason Myatt and Ryhno. I finished 3rd/4th. Not sure who the other 3rd/4th was (I think it was Tony Laskwa). Tony Rome and Matt Freiwald finished 5th-8th. Not sure who the other two were (I think Pizza Pants was one. Can't remember who the other person in the draft was.)

Matt said...

Pizza Pants made T8 again? Screw it. I'm a believer.

coyoeuglly said...

I don't understand it either. He consistently top8's release events. But consistently scrubs out of everything else.

Defender in Exile said...

1. DCI rulings state presenting an illegal deck is game loss at any level.

2. As I was playing in the tournament, I shouldn't have been called upon to make the ruling regardless, especially not with the ethics issue involved.

3. Had there been another judge there, I wouldn't have had to defer, they would have responded to the judge call. In that situation, I chose not to make people wait and have Reverend Appletini (Haaker) get it on his monitor in black and white.

4. Pizza Pants consistently opens like a fiend. He opened removal.dec as he consistently does. Put him at a PTQ and pray he passes to you.

5. You at least went .500 - my limited rating plummeted. I had a shit open. Lost a close one to swizz, beat to hapless opponents (one with a 45 card 15 land deck and one who was just happy to be at the release) and then wipes out round four versus Dan N. when my deck (once again) refused to give me land number 5 during the course of 12 turns. I scooped to Coyoe in round 5 (He'd've schmoked me) and I got the bye round six after the reporting fiasco with Arbeit Mach Freiwald. (I only put it that way because it is a horrible play on words, || parallel to his being a horrible loser. He has surpassed Soly in the whine department).

6. Fugie heart Intet.

TooSarcastic said...

Luckily the ruling was obvious, I had no doubt what would happen. I should have not taken the whole tourney so seriously and instead tried getting an EDH game or two in as well. Magic feels less fun when you have to work so hard to win. Or lose, in my case.

The Captain said...

I strongly agree with coyoe regarding playing a couple of off color lands to enable your uncommons. I have done this with torrent of souls on multiple occasions and it has always been wonderful for me.

The Captain said...

Also, I'm pretty sure the flask is fine if you have any of the cycle that corrupt is part of, not just if you have multiples.

coyoeuglly said...

I'm sure it is fine. But I would always just rather have a dooder or a card that does something.