Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Gun goes 3-0, 6-0

I don't know if any of you have read any limited articles about the Gun but in case you haven't I will tell you what is involved.

The Gun is a two card combo based around a creature with an untap ability, and an aura that gives the creature a tap ability.

Let's look at some untappers:

Silkbind Faerie
Pili-Pala
Leech Bonder (works as long as there are counters to move Note from the editor: this works even if there are no counters to move. As long as you have two legal targets, it's fine. RTFC, Tabasco. Kisses.)
Puresight Merrow
Merrow Grimeblotters
Safehold Sentry

The Auras

Presence of Gond
Power of Fire

Pili-Pala is great because it is cheap and it only costs 1 to untap after the first activation, it also mana fixes. Silkbind Faerie is probably the best untapper in the set.

Getting the untappers is the hardest part about the deck. Presence of Gond and Power of Fire will be floating around in the later picks. Silkbind is pretty much only 1st or 2nd pick. and people who are drafting blue or white will be scooping up the good untappers. Pili-pala see no love, he is a lowly 1/1 so he dies to any removal, but they have to remove him fast or you will get there quickly.

a quick report from FNM

Round 1-against U/B

G1- I get a turn 2 Pili-Pala followed by a turn 3 Presence of Gond for my Pili-Pala. His first drop is a turn 4 Rootcutters. Elves>Rootcutters
G2- I got a turn 2 Boggart Ram-Gang after a Manamorphose (I had 2 mountains and an island)
followed by The R/G unblockable Hill Giant (in this matchup he was unblockable) I got there soon after his guys were smaller than mine and I stole one with Biting Tethers.

Round 2 against R/G/b

G1- I get a Gun going around turn 4 and he answers it with his Power of Fire, but not before taking 5 damage from the Gun. I then get another Gun and start throwing elves into play, and it is soon too much for him to handle. Unfortunately he has Spiteful Visions and Knollspine Invocation in play and drew nothing but lands.
G2-I get a turn 3 Gun and start shooting him in the face while building up cards in hand. he drops Spiteful Visions after he is behind. (Looking for an answer?) This basically ensures I have land drops and adds to the fire. He dies in a fire and I move into the finals.

Round 3-against B/R
I know from seeing his match next to mine round 1 that he has a Demigod of Revenge

G1- I start off with a turn 2 Pili-Pala, he misses land drops and is stuck on 2. I build some 3/3's and he has lowly 1/1's. Bigger dudes win.
G2-Is much the same as game one except he gets more mana this time. He ran his 1/1 fear into my artifact Scuttlemutt after making it red. I have to assume he forgot it is still an artifact even if you change its color.

I end up walking away with Fulminator Mage, Vexing Shusher, a Draft Set, and my entry fee plus 2 dollars in store credit. (I money drafted because i didn't think my deck would be as good as it was)

I think the Gun has potential, you need to be in U/R/G or G/R/w or G/W/r for it to be most effective Silkbind Faerie is the nuts.

See you guys tomorrow at the EDH Open!

Hot Sauce

No comments: