Thursday, February 28, 2008

Old Fart Magic League, Week 4

Wow, what a month it has been. I think I can distill my learnings into three truths.

1. Black/Blue Rogues is quite powerful and can be fairly consistent. This is true even though most limited black/blue rogue decks will not necessarily have bombs that are on theme. The bombs will likely come from other areas (i.e. Dread, Guile, or some other splash color) but will flourish due to the consistency of the rogue theme.

2. Black/Green Warriors is ridiculous (A shout out to Jake for opening like a mad man). After Week one, I was only able to beat black green about one in three games. The number of bombs was just too many for me to deal with.

3. The mana gods may not hate me, but there isn’t a whole lot of love going on either. I ended up playing a seventeen land deck with seven swamps and ten islands. Twice out of ten games, I managed to get all seven swamps before I saw my third island (only once did it keep me from winning the game, but still).

Overall this past month was fun. Next month we plan on doing Morningtide sealed with a little twist.

In week 1 you have two options.

Option #1
1 Tournament Pack of Lorwyn
2 Booster packs of Morningtide

Option #2
3 Booster packs of Lorwyn
2 Booster packs of Morningtide

In week 2, you are free to add a pack of either Lorwyn or Morningtide.
In week 3, you add a pack of the set you didn’t add in week 2
In week 4, same options as week 2.

5 comments:

Scoop_Phase said...

Doesn't a tournament pack come with an extra uncommon compared to 3 booster packs? Why would you take the boosters? Did you mean to have 3 boosters of Morningtide and 2 Lorwyn in option 2?

Defender in Exile said...

If only I had Tuesdays off.

Tabasco said...

Tournament packs also have a guaranteed foil card (which could be a rare) The nice thing about 3 packs versus a Tournament pack is the increased probability of duplicate commons/uncommons

Matt said...

I totally went this week. As fun as advertised. Of course, Cryptic Command, Guile, Mind Spring, a ton of good merfolk and 3 Violet Pall and a Shriekmaw will tend to do that.

major_luck said...

tabasco is on the right track. We talked about it for a while on Tuesday and decided we wanted to increase our chances of getting more duplicates of the key Lorwyn commons and maybe duplicates of the uncommons (definately worth one less uncommon, overall)

As far as the foil, half the time it is a land and you probably have as much chance to get a playable foil rare out of one of the three boosters as you do the one tournament pack.