Friday, February 15, 2008

R/g/b Goblins and Apocalyptic Storms

Have you seen the forecast for Sunday?
...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY MORNING THROUGH
SUNDAY EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN HAS ISSUED A
WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY MORNING
THROUGH SUNDAY EVENING.

SNOW AMOUNTS GENERALLY IN THE 6 TO 13 INCH RANGE ARE POSSIBLE
SUNDAY INTO SUNDAY EVENING...WITH THE HIGHEST AMOUNTS OVER
SOUTHEAST WISCONSIN. SLIGHTLY LOWER AMOUNTS ARE POSSIBLE TO THE
NORTHWEST. IN ADDITION...STRONG WINDS WITH THE LOW MAY CAUSE
BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW. THOSE WITH TRAVEL PLANS SUNDAY AND
SUNDAY EVENING SHOULD KEEP UP WITH THE LATEST FORECASTS.


I consider it highly unlikely I am gonna make it out to the tournament on Sunday. While fun, it's just not worth crashing. Maybe we could do EDH at my house on Saturday? Anybody interested?

Here's the list i would run if I were going.

4 Goblin Lackey
4 Mogg Fanatic
3 Tin Street Hooligan
4 Goblin Piledriver
4 Goblin Matron
4 Goblin Warchief
4 Goblin Ringleader
1 Stingscourger
3 Earwig Squad
4 Aether Vial
4 Thorn of Amethyst

3 Mountain
3 Taiga
3 Wooded Foothills
3 Bloodstained Mire
1 Strip Mine
2 Badlands
1 Lotus Petal
1 Black Lotus
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Jet
1 Mana Crypt

Sideboard

1 Earwig Squad
4 Pyrostatic Pillar
3 Ancient Grudge
2 Gempalm Incinerator
1 Goblin King
4 Leyline of the Void

The maindeck Earwig Squads hopefully improve the Long matchup a little since they play so few win conditions. Capping them turn 2 doesn't help against the T1 win, but they don't always have the nuts, right?

I am not convinced the 4 Leylines in the board are enough to fight Ichorid. If I were to get a Squad against them, I am not even sure what i would take. Probably the GGTs, since I can kill their Bridges and the rest of their dudes are less than impressive.

I am really not convinced on Game 1 vs Workshop Aggro. I have the four Fanatics that can kill a Welder, which is nice, but it's hard to fight through fat butts, and if they land a SOFI, I am dead. It gets a lot better when I can Matron up Goblin King and combo kill after board. Unless of course they are playing MUD, rather than red.

The matchup vs. GAT is pretty solid I think. If I Cap them, I can get their Cunning Wish and if they can't get Berserk, it's almost impossible for them to fight through all the dudes.

PlatzPact is a problem, especially since Menendian wrote about it (including an Oath version) on Wednesday. I think I just scoop to a resolved Plat. Maybe those Grudges should be Krosan Grips. Hrm.

So why am I playing this deck if I think it's a dog to the whole metagame? A few reasons. It's cheap to build, I know how to play it, and if they stumble at all, Goblins just wins. Goldfishing this deck is insane. I have swung for 17 on turn four after a mull to 4. Yes, I know turn 4 is just a rumor in Vintage a lot of the time, but sometimes it's real, you know?

Oh! The metagame! Here was the field for the last tourney...

3 It’s Raining Men
1 Ichorid
2 Flash
1 UW Control
1 Bomberman
1 Counterbalance Goyf
7 Long
3 Fish
2 Dem Goyfs
2 SS Goyf
2 R/G beats
4 Empty Gifts
1 Red Burn
1 PlatPact
4 GAT
1 Goblins
3 MUD
1 Control Slaver
1 Affinity
1 Stax

Ichorid won. I expect MUD and Long to continue their high numbers, possibly with more PlatzPact due to Menendian's article. I have no idea why someone would play Empty Gifts instead of Long. GAT draws a lot of cards and then dies a lot. It's such a typical 'vintage' deck in that it dies to decks that use the attack step. So weird. Anyways, I think that's enough random ranting from a dude who has played in a single vintage tournament. Again, I don't think I am going to be there this weekend unless the forecast changes dramatically. Hope you guys have fun.

3 comments:

Defender in Exile said...

If they haven't shown up yet, you take 3x Narcomeba with earwig. Then there's no flashback and nothing bringing in bridge tokens.

Unknown said...

I have a test Monday so I can't go on Sunday either way. I'm interested in something for Sat. Is anyone interested in a draft? After reading up on Day 1 of the PT this weekend I got the itch to draft. Who would have thought...Finkel is back? And I told you so...Kithkin are back...

Tabasco said...

Well there is a vintage tournament on Saturdayfor a Mox, but it is a longer drive

Pastimes in Chicago

Pastimes
8351 Golf Road
Niles, Illinois 60714
847-470-9636 for directions
847-470-9636 for additional questions
www.pastimes.net

10am Registration 11am Start
$20 Entry with 5 proxies
$25 Entry with 6-10 proxies
Mox Pearl to 1st
English Mana Drain to 2nd