Friday, February 29, 2008

I can't believe I already posted about the ptq

Okay, next time I go to a ptq, will somebody please remind me that I should save that story for Friday so that I don't have to think of a topic? Let's do a weekly recap/response post.

On Monday, thanks and praise to Fugie for reminding me that I made boneheaded misplays in all three rounds. I either need to practice Constructed or not go. My current Constructed rating: 1518. No shit. My last sanctioned Constructed match win? September 15th.

On Tuesday, a delightful poem by Fugie about the Holy Grail of Magic, the Turn One. The only way it gets better is if R&D makes a mistake and prints some broken draw 7 Leyline that makes mana. I am surprised this didn't get more commentary, because I thought it was both original and good, a rare enough combination around here.

On Wednesday, another insightful post by TooSarcastic, about how to make his already formidable EDH, formidabler, uh, more formidable. I learned a lot from this post and also from the last couple games of EDH. (1) Never solve other people's problems for them. (2) Things you can only do once a turn are bad, full stop. (3) Doran off a birds or other off color accelerant? Broken.

On Thursday, a nice little wrapup on a month's worth of casual sealed from major_luck. Did I get any props for knocking off the previously unbeaten Jake? No, I did not. Oh, but Jake had a really nice play against me to force a game 3. I had pretty much stabilized but he did have a Dauntless Dourbark, so I left a chump blocker. Unfortunately, Dourbark has Trample if you control another Treefolk, which he did after Footbottom Feast for Moonglove Changeling. Which was also the last point of needed damage. Oops. I guess we have learned that contrary to this post, Green does not suck in sealed now.

And now it's Friday, and what do you get? Dumbass meanderings and random thoughts. On that note, did you see this?
WIZARDS OF THE COAST EXTENDS ITS MAGIC: THE GATHERING IP TO MULTIPLE PLATFORMS
Industry Leading Partnerships Enhance Strategy Fantasy Gaming Options for all Gamers

RENTON, Wash.—February 18, 2008 — Wizards of the Coast (WotC), the leader in strategy hobby collectible trading card, board and role playing games, and a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE: HAS), today announced its plans to extend the Magic: The Gathering® franchise to gamers on Microsoft's Xbox 360 Xbox LIVE® Arcade and the PC through partnerships with Stainless Games, Ltd. and Mind Control Software, Inc. Stainless Games will develop a game using the Magic: The Gathering IP for both Xbox LIVE Arcade and the PC, while Mind Control will develop a game for the PC and Mac.

So what are the implications of this for MODO 3? This sounds like a Sharazad (Is that the name of that old game?) type of thing, where you don't actually play Magic against real other players. I totally agree with trying to extend this to a larger community but I don't know how well the Wizards TCG model translates to XBox Live or whatnot. It seems like subscription for unlimited play is far more common there. Then again, I am talking out my ass.

Finally, congrats and thanks to the regular writers on this site. Total posts for February:54. Nice.

8 comments:

Defender in Exile said...

Thriving we are. Plus, now that we have the hoodies (which I will be wearing to Chicago in 8 days while playing pimped out Saddles) we should be reaching more people.

Of note, we will see more negative comments from assmasters the more we grow and advertise. Nature of the beast.

I will miss playing some EDH this weekend, unless TS and M_L come over early on Saturday before our "session." I need to test the new version.

-Fugie

Tabasco said...

It's Pronounced Shandalar

When are "The Captain" and I going to be formally invited to join the Blog?

Defender in Exile said...

That's not a bad idea, but the invite comes with conditions. You each have to pick a day (of Wed, Sat, and Sun) and post on that day weekly. If you two can come to terms with that, welcome aboard.

Matt said...

Shandalar! Sharazad is the card, isn't it?

I didn't know you wanted to be invited. Ensign Crusher, make it so. Wait, uh... Shoot me an email, will ya?

TooSarcastic said...

I think (also talking out my ass) that if the game is released on Live Arcade that it is inherently PvP. But I have never owned a console, ever, so who the funk knows. It would be interesting if the "best" players switched away from a PC platform and you "had" to buy another system to test at the highest competitive level. Not that it would matter for us schlubbs.
T

Defender in Exile said...

43-4 against the schlubbs.

Matt said...

Regarding assmasters: I take an active approach to managing threads. Disemvowelling is quickly followed by deletion in cases of egregious boundary crossing. I have no patience for idiots.

major_luck said...

Two things.

1. It all depends on when Conn's campaign finishes tonight, if it goes late than I won't work tomorrow and can EDH. If it finishes relatively early, then I'll go to work tomorrow and would have an outside chance of being able to EDH tomorrow afternoon.

2. I am willing to discuss a trade of my Thrusday to wednesday if one of the new guys can't do wednesday but could do thursday. It might actually be better to get the next day recap on OFM versus two days later.