Monday, December 3, 2007

Eye on Extended

Okay... sealed PTQ's are done... which means Extended is comming and I now no longer care about sealed. So with that in mind after the PTQ Saturday (don't ask I don't remeber it) me and Tyler ventured to AJ's house. After I was spouting off all weekend about how amazing Cephalid Breakfest is to everyone that would listen, me and Tyler talked AJ into trying it. I will freely admit that I have no idea how that went even though I was sitting about a foot away from them while they were testing. But it made me want to proxy it up today. So I have been messing around with a decklist for something like 7 hours now. Goldfishing various lists... internet perusing... tv... food... along with various other things. I eventually found something that I liked "enough" and goldfished it 20 times. These were the results:

Kills:

T1: 0 (yes it is possible with this deck)
T2: 10
T3: 5
T4: 1
T5+: 4 (which means lossing)
Mulls: 7
2x Mulls: 5
3x Mulls:2

In hindsight I wish I kept track of what turns I killed on when I mulled. And why I mulled. I was also mulliganing pretty aggressivly which I know attributed to some of them. The 10 turn 2 kills are impressive... but the 14 total mulligans are very scary. So I am wondering what other peoples opinions on the deck and anything that they think might improve consistancy.

Also I never once used the Spiritulist combo... which makes me start to think it might need to be cut. Although it still gives the deck a nice plan B... and Goofys are plan C.

4 Tarmogoyf (yes he is in fucking EVERYTHING)
1 Outrider en-Kor
3 Cephalid Illusionist
4 Nacromobea
1 Sutured Ghoul
4 Shuko
1 Dread Return
1 Dragon's Breath
3 Cabal Therapy
4 Living Wish
3 Daru Spiritulist
2 Simian Spirit Guide
3 Steelshaper's Gift
1 Bridge from Below
2 Sylvan Scrying

4 Chrome Mox
3 Starlit Santum
3 Flooded Strand
3 Windswept Heath
1 Breeding Pool
2 Hallowed Fountinan
1 Temple Garden
4 City of Brass
1 Goldess Shrine

The premise of the deck is to assemble Shuko + Cephild Illusionist to mill your entire library. You than flashback Dread Return on Sutruted Ghoul removing all your creatures from the game. Then when you Ghoul hits play Dragon's Breath gets attacked and you attack with a 20+/20+ hasty trampler.

The deck also has a built in backup combo of Shuko + Daru Spiritulist + Starlit Sanctum. You get Shuko + Spiritulist to make the Spiritulist 1/infinite + 1 than sacrifice it to Starlit Sanctum for infinite life.

3 comments:

Defender in Exile said...

If I can get the cards together, I may play Heartbeat. Its time may have finally come back. I am also debating playing Ideal, but I would need to find 1x Pernicious Deed. The only thing stopping me from playing Ideal is the fact I'd feel dirty playing someone else's list.

coyoeuglly said...

Heartbeat is another deck we were talking about... If you play Wild Growth you can win on turn 3. You can still custumize Ideal enough were you can make it your own.

But I'm not sure I would play a combo deck that doesn't use some amount of creatures as combo peices because of them being able to run 8 duress... + therapy. Or have a ton of redundency...

Which is why I like Cephild Breakfest so much... You can play Living Wish, Eldamiri's Call, Steelshapers Gift, and Trinket Mage as realistic tutors in this deck. Also I'm effectivly playing two combo decks in one nice little 60 card package. Which means even if they strip Illusionists out of my hand I can still "kill" them with Spiritulists as a plan B... or just aggro them out with Tarmofoyfs.

Also does anyone have a good idea for how I can actually WIN the game if I gain infinite life?

Defender in Exile said...

channel Fireball, Serra Avatar, That's all I got