Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Cube Draft "Wishlist"

Things are coming together. Current list is here. We have people pledging to borrow the Cube the following:
Tarmogyf
Circular Logic
Werebear
Hystrodon
caller of the claw
fork
megatog
triskelion
goblin charbelcher
roar of the wurm
zombie infestation
squee
kamahl, pit fighter
pact of the titan
loxodon heirarch
rhox
wildfire

Thanks people! This is great.
Soon cuts will begin. At this point we are doing an 8 person cube, so there will be some cards that need to be cut from certain colors, depending on how the artifacts, lands and multicolors end up.
Prior to this, though, I am posting a "Wish List." These are cards that I believe will be inherently more powerful than the "worst" cards we currently have in the same color. Some of these are expensive. As in "Power 9" expensive. That is why this is a wish list. Do not feel compelled to pony up your minty Mox Neopolitan or whatever for the The Cube. This is completely voluntary . . . unless you want to pony that Mox right up, in which case, many thanks. There a quite a few uncommons and commons on the list too, though, so take a look.

Abeyance
Academy Rector
Akroma's Vengeance
Balance
Decree of Justice
Exalted Angel
Hokori, Dust Drinker
Humility
Isamaru, Hound of Konda
Moat
Orim's Chant
Pulse of the Fields
Proclamation of Rebirth
Serra Avenger
Solitary Confinement
Soltari Champion
Yosei, the Morning Star

Ancestral Recall
Brain Freeze
Copy Artifact
Daze
Donate
Fact or Fiction
Flash
Gush
Illusions of Grandeur
Keiga the Tide Star
Mana Drain
Serendib Efreet
Time Walk
Timetwister
Upheaval

Contagion
Desolation Angel
Kaervek's Spite
Living Death
Plague Sliver
Profane Command
Reanimate
Entomb
Juzam Djinn
Spirit of the Night
Sutured Ghoul
Tendrils of Agony
Vendetta
Yawgmoth's Will

Anger
Blistering Firecat
Demonfire
Gorilla Shaman
Obliterate
Rorix Bladewing
Sneak Attack
Fire Imp
Goblin Lackey
Goblin Piledriver
Goblin Warchief

Blastoderm
Call of the Herd
Deranged Hermit
Elvish Spirit Guide
Genesis
Kodama of the North Tree
Oath of Druids
Plow Under
Overrun
Spectral Force
Tooth and Nail
Wild Mongrel
Worldly Tutor

Aether Vial
Ankh of Mishra
Black Lotus
Crucible of Worlds
Cursed Scroll
Darksteel Colossus
Engineered Explosives
Gilded Lotus
Grim Monolith
Isochron Scepter
Mana Crypt
Masticore
Mindslaver
Mox Sapphire
Mox Ruby
Mox Pearl
Mox Jet
Mox Emerald
Pithing Needle
Skullclamp
Smokestack
Solemn Simulacrum
Sundering Titan
Winter Orb
Tangle Wire
Umezawa's Jitte
Sensei's Divining Top

Ancient Tomb
Bazaar of Baghdad
City of Brass
Gaea's Cradle
Kjeldoran Outpost
Library of Alexandria
Mishra's Workshop
Thawing Glaciers
Wasteland
Undiscovered Paradise
Strip Mine

Angel of Despair
Fire/Ice
Meddling Mage
Pernicious Deed
Psychatog
Terminate
Vindicate

This wish list is not set in stone! Post any other cards you have or even would like to see in the Cube.
Also, post about composition. CBG thinks we should dial back counterspells. Personally, I think a guy SHOULD be able to draft Cuneo Blue from the Cube. But that's just me. Are there any degenerate combos that should be here? Are there any combos that it looks like I only have half the pieces for (I'm really afraid of this one actually, because I only half know how most of the older combos actually work)? There is a LOT of aggro in the Cube right now, but as you can see, the wish list is mostly combo with some control pieces. Let me know about the balance.
Finally, I think I am going to get sleeves tonight. 600 Dragon Shields, please.
T

17 comments:

dwb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dwb said...

Looks like fun. Wish I could join you all and help.

No Blastoderm in green btw?

TooSarcastic said...

EDIT: Added the green cards that were supposed to be there in the first place. Thanks for the tip off, DWB.

Defender in Exile said...

I have 2/3rds of the wish list, we'll chat this weekend.

Captain Essex said...

Seems like you're adding the kill conditions of some vintage decks that really only work when built as a vintage deck, I don't think Stax pieces have a place in the cube, nor Yawg will or tendrils. On that note, you're missing high tide and reset from the brainfreeze combo.

Matt said...

Well, Fugie has refused to post what he actually has, so this is probably overlap but I have and am willing to donate...

Yosei
Keiga
Plague sliver
profane command (if I can borrow for constructed tourneys should I desire)
demonfire
gorilla shaman
blastoderm
elvish spirit guide
kodama north
plow under (have to doublecheck on this one)
Wild Mongrel (though I'd argue it kind of sucks outside of madness/threshold block)
Pithing Needle (again with the tourney caveat)
winter orb
top
Angel of despair

It's also possible I have a terminate. I have one in my edh and not sure if I own another.

I'd agree with the Cap's comments in re: vintage combo pieces. I'd also say we can cut lands pretty heavily. Wasteland? really? with only 1-3 nonbasics per deck? Personally, I feel if you use 10 two color nonbasics (a mix of pain, shock and ravbounce) would be fine.

dwb said...

How do donations work, exactly? I imagine between Fugie and myself, we could provide 95% of this list-short of the moxen, likely. Given I don't get out a lot though...but what a fun draft it would be.

dwb said...

I have everything in white except the Proclamation.

I have everything in blue except the Illusions, the Twister and the Upheaval.

I have everything in black except Contagion, Living Death, Spirit, and Juzam.

I lack the Demonfire and Sneak Attack in red.

Green is rough. No Kodama, ESG, Call, Spectral or Tooth.

Missing Lotus, Moxen, Needle, Jitte from my collection.

No Bazaar, no Outpost, no Workshop, no Glaciers. Otherwise good.

In gold, only the Angel.

I would find it hard to leave these goodies behind tho...is it bring it if you got it, thing?

Matt said...

I'd just like to say about your comment, "There's a LOT of aggro in the Cube right now" SAYWHUT? I don't buy that at all. I feel like the cube is seriously lacking in the creature department right now. There's a ton of powerful midrange noncreature spells and the occasional combo piece, but aggro? Really? What am I missing? I know there's some good efficient creatures, but they're spread all over the place. I don't see a huge imbalance in favor of aggro.

major_luck said...

Has anyone thought of asking Mike Paul if he would be willing to make us a proxy set of power? If he is, I am more then willing to chip in towards some compensation for his efforts.

TooSarcastic said...

First off, thanks for all the discussion, this is what I was looking for!
Capt. Essex- thanks for the heads up about the vintage stuff. A guy could argue that some of those cards (Yawgmoth's Will, Smokestack) are pretty powerful by themselves. But to be fair I have played nil Vintage, and if others believe those cards could be replaced by more powerful stuff, then I'm game. Consider the Stax stuff and Yawg Will off the wishlist. Having said that, there are SOOO many cheap spells (many of them artifacts) I think there is definitely a successful storm deck in there somewhere. If D-storm is a stretch (only one 11 points of hasty dragon damage with Hellkite and Rorix), I bet a pretty decent brain freeze would get a 40 card library easily. I'm willing to back down on the storm cards if I'm overruled, but I think they have a place. Also, high tide seems abuseable in any deck with a way to untap lands. Maybe it should go in?
CBG and DWB - Thanks for the card loans. I was talking with Scoop Phase about how the card loans will work. He thought things could get ugly real quick when people wanted the cards back. I can't say I disagree. If you are really set on using something for FNM in a standard deck, I think it might be best for you to hang on to it. It seems reasonable to ask for a week after the initial request to logistically get the cards back to whoever borrowed them. This is basically just to work out a time to meet. Does this sound fair? I think we can keep an up-to-date database of who owns what that is viewable online, so there should be no disagreement about ownership at least. Still, there will have to be some amount of trust if someone loans cards to the Cube. I will promise to do all I can to keep your cards safe and available. That said, if you are very attached to expensive or pet cards I would have to advise that you don't loan them out. I don't want to lose any friends over this project.
Wasteland- On reflection this card seems like an amazingly efficient answer to some niche problems (Volrath's Stronghold or Tolarian Academy, anyone?) but is not powerful enough to be an "auto-inlcude." You're right. It is stricken from the wishlist. 20 multicolor lands should assure people they can play whatever splash they need, and might even make base green 5-color decks viable. I agree. About the aggro thing- I'll look over the list again and see. Maybe I was thinking more of the 720 card list I was working off of. It could be that a lot of the cards that actually made it in were non-aggro. Have no fear- we'll get it balanced out.
DWB - about the "bring it if you got it," I think we are looking for a more or less set list. There might come a time where mixing things up is desirable, but right now we are loooking to find a balance on a bunch of different levels (color balance, power balance, archetype balance, etc.)So having blastoderm (for example) in the cube to be draftable allows folks to determine how important he is to drafting a G/x aggro deck. We can play with Blastoderm multiples times and decide that he will wheel in the next draft and we can take advantage of that. Or whatever. The point of the illustration is to say that while we will continue to make changes, the changes shouldn't be based on whether or not a certain player is playing on a given night. We want a reasonably stable environment so skilled drafting and play is rewarded more consistently.
Finally- Major Luck: I was vaguely opposed to proxying cards but can't really defend that principle with a cogent argument. Muttonchops does make some nice proxies, what do you guys think? Adding Power will change the feel of the Cube, but that is not necessarily bad.

Thanks again for the input!

The Captain said...

I'm in favor of adding proxied power to the deck. At least lotus, walk, twister, and recall.

Matt said...

Okay, I had Saproling Burst, not Blastoderm. So we'll have to get that from elsewhere. And I didn't have the Plow Under (must have ebay'ed it). But I found other full art and foily goodies.

Tarmogoyf
FNM Circular Logic
werebear
Wildfire
Yosei
Keiga
Plague Sliver
Profane Command
Demonfire
Gorilla Shaman (alternate art)
Elvish Spirit Guide
Kodama North
Wild mongrel
Pithing Needle
Winter Orb
Sensei's Divining Top
Angel of Despair
Spectral Force

In terms of pimpage, not all of these are on the list, but I think most are worthy.

Full Art Disenchant
Full Art Tidings
Foil Mirari
Prerelease Lotus Bloom
FNM Deep Analysis
Release Reya Dawnbringer
Signed Kami of Ancient Law
Foil Reckless Wurm
unpimp Kataki (do we want this?)
Foil Nameless Inversion
Foil Lash Out
Foil Terramorphic Expanse
Foil Treetop Village

Gawd, this is such a great use of the one-of foilies I get from cracking boxes!

Matt said...

Argh, checked the other thread and realized I had promised a couple more.

Ravenous Baloth
Proclamation of Rebirth

Would like to add...

Foil Golgari Grave-Troll.

Further pimpage...

Foil Gaea's Anthem
Foil Flame Fusillade
Full Art Terror
Foil Spiketail Hatchling

major_luck said...

I agree with the captain. On second thought, moxen are not necessary, but the other 4 would definately make things more interesting.

Matt said...

Oh, and count me in on the LotusTwisterRecallWalk front. Maybe Mana Drain? I mean, if yr gonna counterspell, why not the best counter of all time that isn't free?

Captain Essex said...

If Mike Paul is unavailable for proxy-ing, I have a guy who would do it for minimal cost and high quality. He did my moxen, recall and time walk if anyone's seen them.