Thursday, December 6, 2007

Cube Draft!

I know Wizards is pushing the idea of Cube Draft as a cool format, etc. etc. Thus I kind of feel guilty jumping on the bandwagon now, since I know many people have been doing it forever. However, reading on SCG like a year ago, it seemed like everyone's Cube needed to be fully powered and had a shit load of older cards that I did not have. But in the Invitational List and (even more so) in Wizard's current Cube List, it seems that cards from all eras were chosen, maybe even with an emphasis on newer sets. It made me optimistic that I could throw an interesting 8-person Cube together with a little effort. There won't be any moxen or Timewalks in this cube, but I am still trying to base the first run-through on the Wizard's lists, replacing cards that I don't have. Later on we could add or remove based on what people liked. If the idea is popular I may ask to trade for some of the older rares. Likewise I might just buy a bunch of the budget uncommons I don't yet have. And hey, it gives me a chance to show off my promo Rakdos Guildmage, foily Ascendent Evincar and the like. It's not like I'm going to be throwing them in decks anyway. A rough count of Wizards' Cube shows 714 cards, which seems a little overboard. I'm guessing I miscounted and there are 720 (enough for 16 people). I highly doubt we'll ever have 16 people desperate to draft my Cube at once, so I am going to set the bar a little lower, at 360 (enough for an 8-man). Would you guys like to try this? If nobody really cares, then I won't bother gathering it up, since you are the only guys I play with anyway. A man can't cube draft by himself.
T

4 comments:

major_luck said...

Let me know if you need anything in particular? I think between the two of us we should be able to make a fairly decent cube.

Matt said...

I have a foil Shivan Dragon. And a foily Sliver Horde (or whatever the 7/7 sliver from FS was called).

TooSarcastic said...

I am putting together everything that I have. I will send a list around afterward with the stuff we're missing. It remains to be seen how we would keep track of whose cards were who, but I like the idea.
T

Scoop_Phase said...

It sounds like fun. I'd hit it!