Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Cube Draft Update.

This thing has taken over my life. I am pretty close to something resembling an 8-man cube using only my cards. It should be done by the weekend, regardless of whether or not it gets used. But the process has also raised some questions as to how to balance cube ownership and control with playgroup interest and investedness. Okay, maybe that doesn't make any sense to you. Let my chat with Captain Bondage Goth underscore the point.

10:47 AM
me: This cube thing is getting out of hand
10:48 AM
CBG: in terms of...?
me: I have probably spent ten hours just organizing it. I think I'm close to getting an 8 person cube together with just my cards. Although I don't how exciting it will be.
CBG: well, I can contribute cards
10:49 AM
me: I'm still trying to figure out if that's what I want.
10:50 AM
CBG: I think we should get group cube together for maximum awesomeness
10:51 AM
but I can see the point of not wanting to have it "group-owned" as it were
me: Yeah, I'm on the fence. How much importance is there in knowing I can change it when I want, or not have to keep track of whose cards are whose, there are drawbacks to both ways of doing it.
CBG: But it'll make the moxes cheaper to share the cost :D
10:52 AM
me: So far there's no power, only FoW and Braingeyser
CBG: sure I have a winter orb if you want :P
me: Uh, thanks.
CBG: Yeah, and maybe we could include crazy lifegain
10:53 AM
me: Well, I do have Martyr of Sand in there currently. And Ivory Tower.
CBG: Anyhow. I think a group cube where we all have input is the ultimate goal, but maybe it's cool for you to have the whole thing cuz then you can take it to tourneys and such
10:58 AM
me: Who would make the decision of what goes in (or out) when the votes end up being even? If there's one guy who wants to put in his foil Looter-il Kor, but it would mean cutting my Exodus Merfolk Looter, does his vote count as much as mine? And what about when one guy wants to take out my Counterbalance and Diving Top for his Tinker and Darksteel Colossus, how do we decide what happens? Does the fact that I have put more thought into balancing the colors/strategies than anyone else count? On the other hand, will anyone even care if they aren't engaged by group ownership? Tough Calls.
10:59 AM
CBG: Hmm...
11:04 AM
I don't know. I would think foils in general a bad idea, but as to the general point? I think that we are all adults and can reach consensus. I would really like to have a nice powerful cube and the way to do that in my mind is to pool collections. The question in my mind is, is one person the keeper of the list and therefore, the final authority. Which I am happy with you being and which I would shoot myself if it was-
****

Whoa there! Seems like a fine place to end the quote. You get the point. There are issues. Ultimately I think Gothy McBondage is right. Group ownership means that everyone actually cares about the Cube. This trumps me being a control freak. But, at the same time, if 90% or so of the cards are mine, I think being "keeper of the list" or whatever you want to call it, is reasonable, as long as it means listening to other people who care about what goes in. Honestly I think the bigger issue is going to be what comes out. Comments about the issue are welcome.
T

4 comments:

TooSarcastic said...

I forgot to mention that I will send out a list of what I have currently and things that would be cool for the Cube. But you guys can also tell me what you think would fit in there as well, especially after you get a look at the list and start thinking about balancing strategies. Let's just say that right now, despite having the best control type spells ever, aggro will be a very strong choice.

coyoeuglly said...

LIES! Basic Island will always be better than your puny aggro strategies.

TooSarcastic said...

Don't worry. Blue is still the deepest color. I really don't look forward to having to cut some of the blue goodness. Could it be any other way?

coyoeuglly said...

Yes it could... just leave it all in. :)