Sunday, December 2, 2007

Casual Deck

It is not as though this format will matter to anyone else, but my casual deck won both the group games it played last Friday, so I thought I would post it. The deck building restrictions are here. I believe white is the best color in this "format," with red close behind. Either blue or black could take third. I would not play green for any sum of money.

Red
1 x Ashling the Pilgrim
1 x Jaya Ballard
1 x Fortune Thief
1 x Shard Phoenix
1 x Ryusei, the Falling Star
2 x Desolation Giant
2 x Bogardan Hellkite
Blue
1 x Dominating Licid
1 x Rainbow Efreet
1 x Sower of Temptation (should be Dom. Licid #2)
2 x Vesuvan Shapeshifter
2 x Venser, Shaper Savant
2 x Teferi
2 x Draining Whelk
2 x Aeon Chronicler
White
1 x Adarkar Valkyrie
1 x Eternal Dragon
1 x Reya Dawnbringer
1 x Blazing Archon
2 x Mangara of Corondor
2 x Magus of the Disk
2 x Mageta the Lion
2 x Akroma, Angel of Wrath
Multicolor
Numot, the Devastator
Land
2 x Flagstone of Trokair
2 x Steam Vents
2 x Sacred Foundry
2 x Hallowed Fountain
2 x Battlefield Forge
2 x Adarkar Wastes
2 x Lonely Sandbar
1 x Ancient Amphitheater
1 x Shivan Reef
1 x Secluded Steppe
1 x Azorious Chancery
1 x Boros Garrison
1 x Izzet Boilerworks
1 x Tolaria West (should have been two)
1 x Calciform Pools
1 x Prav, Spires of Order
1 Sunhome, Fortress of Legion
1 Plains

Thanks to the Major and CBG for borrowing me cards. The theme of the deck was card advantage, primarily through board sweeping, with large flyers for clean up. If I played again I would definitely add two Ixidron (really good), probably for Numot and Jaya. I also might cut a Venser or Vesuvan Shapeshifter for another Reya. Landwise I would hunt down and run the old tap lands (Coastal Tower, etc.) instead of Adarkar Wastes and friends. The pain is much more relevant than a one turn delay on mana production. Thanks to our host Jack and all the other players we had not met prior for a great time. It's nice to play with people who aren't 15 years old (or have the maturity level thereof).

Best play of the night- My last remaining opponent responds to my Reya triggered ability by flipping over Willbender. He changes my graveyard target from Bogardan Hellkite to Desolation Giant, Wrathing all my guys except the giant. Nice. Play. Yeah I got the game in the end, but a guy has to give respect for that kind of tech.
T

2 comments:

Defender in Exile said...

You get your props, but we weren't at the same table. Granted, I finished 2nd twice instead of first. I disagree about green. Green gets E Witness, Loxodon Hierarch, Wood Elves, Birds of Paradise, and Cloudthresher (who killed two guys). Perhaps it isn't as strong as some other colors.

Either way it was a good night. We may plan another for January or February.

major_luck said...

I do hope that Jack wasn't offended by my running Blue sources to get access to the off color abilities of my Nighscape Master. In hind sight, I wouln't run either of the Masters (the other being Stormscape (RED)) but instead run two Withered Wretches (not being able to permanently deal with Wonder let Ivan take me out both games).

I would be open to the same format but make two changes. Number one, limit the range of targeted effects to one (only the people adjacent to you) and two let you attack to either the right or left (both games the person two to my right did very little so Ivan was able to beat me down without having to leave back blockers). Or allow you to attack the person to your right once your life total is below say 15.