Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Eventide Previews? Not really.

In Monday's article Maro says:

"Shadowmoor's existence set up the expectation that Eventide would have enemy-color hybrids. We did that precisely so we could meet those expectations (as well as accomplish several other goals, such as giving each set its own feel). Delivering the expected can be very comforting. This isn't to say that we won't ever throw you all some curveballs, because we have done so and will continue to do so. Rather I'm saying that block evolution isn't relegated solely to curveballs. Sometimes the straight and narrow is just what the players expect and want."

Thank God for that! I know that some people like the mind bending experience of seeing cards they never expected could (or should) be printed, that kind of "Whaa-a-a?" experience when you see Mindslaver, or Time Stop, or even Char (for a different reason, obv) for the very first time. But for me, I actually prefer the expected. Let me explain. A major reason, perhaps THE major reason I have continued to play Magic is the structure, the order, inherent to the game's flavor. I LOVE the color pie. Shit, I make 20 page personality quizzes about it! There's something so appealing about being able to distill down into five discrete essences the whole of a universe. It's just so... orderly. Certainly nothing like our own, very unpredictable, and hopelessly complicated universe.
I loved Rav block for the same reason. Here the ten two-color combinations were all represented with different flavors. I loved the expectation before each set was released. What would a U/R guild feel like? What about a W/U? What role within society would each play? I don't even need to see specific cards to be excited. Just imagining the big picture philosophies of those guilds fired me up.
So now we are in the heart of Shadowmoor's dominance. We are experiencing allied color fun the likes of which haven't been seen since Invasion block. Shadowmoor lacks the rigidity of a guild based model, and as result is less exciting to me. But still, as Maro notes, I am someone who is excited by the expectation of Eventide. It will be, from a flavor perspective, like the perfect coda to Shadowmoor's chorus. The fact that this second mini-block mirrors the Lorwyn/Morningtide mini-block (check the yin/yang feel of the Lorwyn/Shadowmoor and Morngintide/Eventide expansion symbols for more evidence) is only gravy. I am ready for some enemy color love. There had better be enemy color Graven Cairn lands, enemy color Lieges, and enemy color Avatars (what up, Overbeing of Myth?). Putting a cycle of enemy color Shield of the Oversoul-style enchantments at common would make my day. I know this might sound strange, since pretty much half the set is already filled in once you complete all those tedious five card cycles, but I actually prefer daydreaming about HOW those cycles might be fulfilled to simply imagining random enemy color hybrid cards. Look at the as of yet unknown card Drain the Well, which was revealed in the Eventide booster pack. This is obviously a mirror to Poison the Well. But what would the ability be? Destroy target land, you gain two life? Destroy target artifact, Poison the Well deals 2 damage to that artifact's controller? Either could be viable. Or maybe it's something else entirely. The point is, I find it MORE enjoyable to think about Eventide because I know what to expect going in. We've seen the U/G Avatar, Overbeing of Myth. But what will the W/B Avatar looks like? And what will the name be? How many more ways can one connote the Divine? Actually, that might make a good name. Arch Divinatrix. Or something like that. What ability would such a creature have?

W/B W/B W/B W/B W/B, 5/5. Flying, First Strike, Deathtouch.

Or what about-

W/B W/B W/B W/B W/B W/B, 5/5. Flying , At the beginning of your upkeep, put target creature card in a graveyard into play under your control.

Debtors' Knell on a dude! How sweet would that be? Probably too sweet to print. But the idea is enjoyable. Here's hoping that you will look forward to the expected.

T

Aside to The Captain: See how I avoided mentioning anything scandalous about the party Saturday? I'm quiet as the grave over here. Heh.

3 comments:

The Captain said...

Heh. Yeah. Well, what I remember was a good time. What I don't...well, that's not important. As The Best Around put it, "I know it was a good party because I didn't notice that you puked on my shoulder until the day after."

TooSarcastic said...

It was a good time. It was a little awkward being the "old guy" at the party. Having some chick tell me, "Man, 27 is just so OLD!" was a novel experience. She just about dropped her beer when she found out I was MARRIED. I think I immediately graduated to senior citizen status right there. Coincidentally she wasn't real eager to share her age with me. Wonder why...

It was good times though, for real.
T

Scoop_Phase said...

TS, I remember a chick telling me at regionals about 4 years ago that I was old enough to be her father. That was quite possible, however, it still sucks being old.