Wednesday, June 18, 2008

This Was Going to be Long

This was going to be a very long post today about a statement Fugie made. But due to lack of a computer for the next 2/3 weeks. I'm going to make it pretty short.

Fugie recently stated:


We have a psychological block against blue being bad because it's not aggressive. I play W/R/G and everyone goes panic button on me. I play U/R/b and I am mind twisting like a fiend.

This is why we don't send people to nats or the PT.


I completely disagree. The major reason we don't send people to Nats/PTs are completely unrelated to Magic in general. It has to do with choices people make outside of Magic. Out of all the "regulars" on this blog. I am the only one that regularly play tests "relevant" formats and attends events outside of GU. I am not saying this is a bad thing by any stretch. Simply that other people have different priorities. I have made a conscious decision to make Magic a major priority to me, TS to his wife, CBG to his family, SCG Winner Jamison Bryant to weddings and Type One, Fugie to work and EDH.

The other major reason is that the people on this blog are largely casual players. This point is pretty much pronounced by the fact that after FNM's people break up into EDH games. If people were serious about making it to Nats and the PT people would be play testing and working on current formats. Just go back and look though the history of this blog, it has gone from being mostly draft and sealed deck, to almost exclusively EDH content.

There are also a million other reasons that Fugies statement is wrong. I will be more than willing to go into them further if people would like me to.

Also if people are interested, I will make a longer post once I get my computer back.

3 comments:

TooSarcastic said...

I think Fugie's logical jump from people undervaluing blue to not being good at competitve Magic is a tenuous one, to say the least. But I think Fugie's point was to provoke people into seeing how powerful blue really is in the EDH format, not to rip on our collective lack of competitive honors. (Although maybe I'm wrong. You want us to start testing to grind in to Nats, Fugie?) You're 100% right about priorities, though Coyoe. Magic is fun as hell, but I can't give my life up for it. It takes time and money, neither of which are abundant for anyone who writes on this blog. I was just thinking about trying to squeeze in a draft online. But when the hell am I going to have 3-4 uninterrupted hours? We all know I'll lose in the first round anyway, but you get the picture! It sucks man, but that's life.

statso said...

I agree with Sargeant Sarcastic there... The guys you see winning Pro Tours or Top 8ing Nats are the same guys who's lives consist solely of Work, Sleep, and Magic.

The guys WE play with consider magic a once, maybe twice, a week event. So the point you're trying to make is basically being made to deaf ears.

I would much rather have a LIFE and have zero magic accomplishments aside from an 1800 constructed rating than spend all my free time playtesting and drafting, attempting to become a god among nerds by winning a Grand Prix.

coyoeuglly said...

In regards to blue being over powered in EDH. I don't think it is. I think it has to do more with people building there decks wrong in relation to deal with the fundamentals of the format more than anything else. More on this to come in a couple of weeks (due to the computer thing). If you would like to hear my opinions on it either talk to me this weekend in Indy or give me a call if you are feeling super ambitious.

P.S. Get on my ass about writing these when I get my computer back.