Wednesday, September 5, 2007

More Casual Magic

Sometimes I feel like I am going to get kicked off the blog for lack of seriousness.

Here's a new decklist, completely untested. I may build this online since it is super cheap (since I have the duals from building dredge pre-FS).

4 Living End
4 Uktabi Drake
4 Timbermare
4 Deepcavern Imp
4 Mirri the Cursed
4 Leyline of the Void
4 Terror
1 Akroma's Memorial
4 Giant Growth
3 Diabolic Tutor
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Llanowar Wastes
6 Forest
10 Swamp


The Leylines are to break the symmetry of Living End, to hose Teachings, Dredge and Loam and to have a turn zero play (joke).

You'll rarely wanna pay the echo. The idea is to shock somebody a few times, then suspend living end, continue shocking and then all in for the win after living end.

I am amused by the singleton Akroma's memorial. Seems like a good thing to drop turn 7 after living end resolves.

I am also amused by the idea of suspending living end on consecutive turns. You never know. It seems like fun to have a bunch of echo creatures die, then immediately reanimate them.

You'll probably wanna learn how to stack Timbermare triggers correctly. This seems antisynergystic? Maybe Icy for creature control instead of Terror? At one point I had fog effects to minimise the creatures they'd be getting back.

Update September 06-Well, I got to play a few games in the casual room last night before the server crashed. It turns out the aggro creatures are just as good as advertised. I won one game by just casting Deepcavern Imp and Mirri and beating face. Go right ahead and race. I lost a game against monored (essentially a Nats deck with Ghostfires instead of Chars. I love the casual room) when I realized the Giant Growths in my hand should be Might of Old Krosas. One. more. point. I won another game by casting Terror as a 3-for-1. Dude has a Vinelasher Kudzu with 3 counters (4/4) and a Fungal Behemoth (3/3) with another Fungal Behemoth suspended for one. Topdeck Terror. Swing with my team. Cast main phase Terror on Kudzu, killing both dudes. The other Behemoth dies when it comes into play. Savage beatings, but Fungal Behemoth is terrible. Why can't it be */*+1? I have no idea.

Re:Timbermare, yeah the tap all creatures thing sucks. I don't have a solution. It's not like I can NOT PLAY a hasty 5/5. What kind of works is paying the echo on the 2nd Timbermare.

5 comments:

Scoop_Phase said...

I would think a Damnation or two would work well to keep the weenie rush or un-targetable creatures away until Living End can got off. It doesn't hurt if the leyline is out.

Defender in Exile said...

Question: what happens when you have multiple Timbermares in the graveyard and living end resolves.

Matt said...

Damnation is great if I have Leyline, pretty ugly if I don't. I am pretty draw-dependent already so I don't know about adding an extra layer of complexity. I am definitely planning on using life total as a resource.

Answer: You Lava Axe them. Unfortunate, but if there are two Timbermares in your graveyard, they shouldn't be above 10 anyways. And probably less.

Defender in Exile said...

If there are 2 Timbermares in your bin, they lock each other out. Were I you, I would board in Withered wretches to make sure your living end isn't worthless.

Matt said...

Oh right. There's that. On the other hand, if I do it right, I've just cast plague wind. So pthht.

--CBG

PS Living End is always worthless.