Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Finally! TooSarcastic's Cube Cuts and Adds for Eventide

I got tired of trying to do it by committee and just did it myself. The reasoning ought to be obvious by now. I could write a nice long paragraph about each card choice, but I would enjoy writing it more than folks would enjoy reading it. Questions or disagreements can be posted in comments, where I can clarify specific concerns. If possible I would like to run it this way before changing things around again, but we can definitely tweak this list if the outcry is great enough. I really did try to include as many opinions as possible. I think people will be pleasantly surprised by how many high powered older cards we can still include to continue to increase the power level. A full listing of the new updated Cube will be up by the weekend.

Asterisked cards mean that I do not have a copy of this card and am requesting the folks who enjoy the format to borrow a copy to Cube. Think about how fun playing with these cards will be!

Cuts

Aegis of Honor
Arrest
Blazing Archon
Cho-Manno, Revolutionary
Enduring Renewal
Feudkiller's Verdict
Pariah
Wing Shards

Collective Restraint
Cunning Wish
Hydroblast
Spell Snare
Threads of Disloyalty
Tinker
Trinket Mage

Corpse Dance
Incremental Blight
Makeshift Mannequin
Night of Souls' Betrayal
Reanimate
Rend Flesh
Smother

Flamebreak
Ghostfire
Grapeshot
Grinning Ignus
Pyroblast
Seal of Fire

Protean Hulk
Spawnwrithe
Spidersilk Armor

Tolarian Academy

Coalition Relic
Pithing Needle
Serrated Arrows

Desolation Giant
Fiery Justice
Firemane Angel
Ghost Council of Orzhova
Goblin Legionnaire
Grave-Shell Scarab
Lightning Angel
Memory Plunder
Stormbind
Temporal Spring

Adds

Blazing Archon*
Endless Horizons*
Exalted Angel*
Glory*
Isamaru, Hound of Konda*
Jotun Grunts
Shaman En-Kor

Ancestral Visions
Glen Elendra Archmage
Cache Raiders
Morphling*
Serendib Efreet*
Wake Thrasher*

Ashling the Extinguisher*
Dusk Urchins
Kokusho the Evening Star*
Night’s Whisper*
Raven’s Crime
Withered Wretch*

Furnace of Rath
Kumano, Master Yamabushi
Mana Barbs
Puncture Blast
Stigma Lasher

Blastoderm*
Wickerbough Elder

City of Brass

Aether Vial*
Masticore
Phyrexian Furnace*

Snakeform
Overbeing of Myth*
Murkfiend Liege

Balefire Liege
Figure of Destiny
Duergar Hedgemage
Rise of the Hobgoblins*

Dominus of Fealty

Psychatog*

Creakwood Liege
Sapling of Colfenor

Stillmoon Cavalier*
Deathbringer Liege*

Wort, Boggart Auntie

Fires of Yamivaya

Thanks to Fugie for the card suggestions. Exalted Angel, Morphling and more would have fallen through the cracks if he hadn't mentioned them to me.
T

3 comments:

Tabasco said...

I would rather have Makeshift Mannequin than dogshit Beacon of Unrest, why did Incremental Blight get the axe?

Also Blazing Archon is listed in both cuts and adds but I think that the one you one you meant to add is Archon of Justice?

Defender in Exile said...

I can add:

Archon of Justice
Endless Horizons
Serendib Efreet
Wake Thrasher
Ashling the Extinguisher
Kokusho, the Evening Star
Night's Whisper
Withered Wretch
Phyrexian Furnace
Psychatog
Deathbringer Liege
Stillmoon Cavalier

Possibly the Morphling, I have to find it first.

TooSarcastic said...

Tabasco -
Starting with the easiest first. Incremental Blight, Flamebreak, Night of Souls Betrayal and Desolation Giant seemed like the "worst" board sweepers that the Cube had to offer. They were removed because more powerful effects (Wrath, Damnation, etc.) deserved to stay and some of the other middling sweepers (Earthquake, Pestilence, etc.) could serve as finishers in an aggro deck and thus were kept in to enable that strategy.

Beacon of Unrest v. Makeshift Mannequin: So Beacon is more versatile (obv) and reusable (obv), but the real reason I kept it in was that when I drafted Reanimator all I needed to do was have Beacon in my hand and I never needed to worry about dredging my whole deck into my graveyard. It was great decking insurance. If the consensus is that Makeshift Mannequin's cheaper cost and instant speed are more valuable, I have no attachment to "dogshit" Beacon of Unrest. I just think it serves an interesting function in the archetype.

You are right- I meant to add the Eventide card Archon of Justice and cut Blazing Archon. Apparently there can be only one Archon in the Cube at once.

Fugie - I'd be much obliged if you lent out those cards. We'd only have to find 8 or so other cards to get this update completed. You know when we'll be seeing each other next,we can sort it out then.