Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Line in the Sand

Fine, let's converse.
To understand my seething hatred right now, we have to set a baseline.

Read This First.

Now, my objections with that essay.

1. It implicitly calls me racist.

"because Fugie posted" ... "at least three racist comments" (Runquist, 24 September 2008).

Racist, as specifically defined by the University of Princeton's wordnet program (designed in long term to define every word in the English language) is "based on racial intolerance; a person with a prejudiced belief that one race is superior to others; discriminatory especially on the basis of race or religion."

All of any concern stems from one line:

"As the black man was once a slave to the white man, so now the white man is a slave to the island." (Black, 24 September 2008).

Look at the three baselines of being racist.

A. Based on racial intolerance.
This most certainly does not apply. First and foremost, this is historical fact, both halves of the statement. For those who doubt the historical impact, please refer here, here, and here.

B. A person with a prejudiced belief that one race is superior to others.
This implies that I behave and speak in such a manner as to intentionally put down others based on race, sex, or creed. Nothing I have written even remotely points to that.

C. Discriminatory especially on the basis of race or religion.
This is once again not the case. The first phrase is still a cold unfeeling fact.

That being said, in the article, reviewing the decks the consistent best players play, format be damned, continual success is based on the use of the Island. There is no getting around it. No matter the format, Islands always make a strong enough impact. To consistently be a good player, you have to play Islands. Be it Finkel's most recent pro-tour win (p1p1 Mulldrifter) to Buehlers CMU/Cuneo Blue, Islands are a defining part of every top eight in every format. Wizards has broken the color so bad, it can't be fixed.

2. It defines that freedom of expression is at the behest of one man.

" That doesn't change the fact that I feel the need to confront these issues head on when they come up." (Runquist, 24 September 2008).

This was designed to be a community. Now, all the rules and mores are at the behest of one man. One lone gatekeeper controls te flow of information. I live a daily life where I have to censor myself in my speech, my writings, and my actions. Not because I am bigoted, but because the first reaction of the several bigots in the world is to claim I'm a bigot first. This is a first strike method used in custody battles and competing lawsuits. He (or she, as that may now be construed as sexist) who strikes first, wins. The fact that there is one lone censor means our thoughts and ideas must now meet the approval of a lone authority. This has happened before in history. I don't believe I need to draw any parallels.

3. The world needs a thicker skin.

Most of my life, no one ever stood up for me. If I was ever the target of bigoted remarks, based on weight, sex, and race, I was told to suck it up. The rest of the world is given a pass based on some characteristic that they claim makes them victim to those different then themselves.

Newsflash - the majority aren't the ones stifling any dialogue.

4. I have let the GU become a hotbed of racism and intolerance.

I'd like to note some facts. Before I took the helm of the GU magic program, average attendance was 10 on standard nights and 12 on draft nights. During my one year stewardship, those numbers increased to an average of 30 on standard nights and 24 on draft nights. Was that accomplished by being hostile and exclusionary? If so I need to write a book. Upon my departure, the followup stewardship knocked those numbers back down to 10 on standard nights and 8-12 on draft nights, with 25% of the nights not having enough players to have the event sanctioned. After my return, we are back to averaging 20 per regular weekend event. This wasn't accomplished through advertising, but by people realising that it was about to be a fair and balanced and safe and welcoming environment once again.

I have heard about the alleged issues at the GU. The few who have even mentioned this didn't stand up for themselves. More importantly, they never came to me. There is no situation where people should ever believe I would allow a hostile environment. To not address these alleged issues, and not request my intervention, can only lead me to believe that the accusers are trying to make some sort of personal or political point.

If people do not believe I stand against all that bullshit, I point to the removal of Owen and the only man who crusaded tirelessly for his removal to better the program.

Now I address why this affects me so personally. It resolves about why I write.

I write to make myself a better wordsmith. I write to leave my ideas to review and posterity. I write to express myself in a semi-permanent medium. My writing allows me to further be a rock in the magic community. And the conduct of the blog as of late indicates I will not get any of the above points to relate to my work. Therefore, I have no place in this blog.

-Fugie

8 comments:

Jonathan Brostoff said...

I, for one, don't go to GU because of the asshole comments and generally spirit that hovers over that place.

I work all day with angry people who have all sorts of issue and when I go out on the weekends or whatever to play magic it's my time and its fun time. The racism/etc and general rude spirit of that place does little to increase my enjoyment of playing the game.

Maybe once in a while I'll stop back there, but since there is an alternative I have not yet found a reason to.

That being said, Fugie, I think the numbers you suggest are fantastic and it proves that you are good at what you do. I hope Jen and James appreciate you for that.

I also have noticed Captain Bondage Goth's (and a few others) willingness to stand up to crap like that when they see it, and I think that standing up for ones principles is something we can all appreciate.

I do not, however, read Captain Bondage Goth's post as a personal attack on anyone. But I also understand why you feel slighted, Fugie.

I think that you add a lot to this blog (not to mention the whole starting it thing) and I hope you continue to add your insight and wisdom.

I also think that the idea of Captain Bondage Goth was more to start a conversation than to finish it.

Anyway, when people feel like they have been crapped on, they shouldn't go out and crap on others feelings.

It's a negative circle and it doesn't make the world a better place.

Matt said...

Fugie, I specifically avoided ad hominem attack in my post for exactly the reasons that you defend against personal attack. We have no disagreement on this point.

Further, I posted to start an open discussion about the issue your post and my subsequent editing raised. This is the opposite of "one gatekeeper controls the flow of information". The only thing I have deleted were the original comments. I didn't delete your post and I invited you (both privately and publicly) to respond.

You've chosen to remove all of your posts from The Fugitive Wizard. I see no reason why this is necessary. I'd like it if you would repost them.

The comments about GU were not directed at you. You have been an admirable steward of a bunch of new and old players at that store. You've done nothing to either encourage or discourage the tone of discourse there and the play statistics which you quote (and my experience bears your numbers out) are a result of your stewardship.

That being said, I hear language at that store that I can't in good conscience ignore. I can't even count the number of derogatory euphemisms for African American I've picked up there.

The one question that I have that I would really like you to address is; do you agree with my statement? That is to say, do you agree that the blog should be a safe space for all Magic players to come and discuss Magic and not feel as it their gender, ethnicity or other personal characteristics are going to be called out for ridicule?

Do you honestly feel it was necessary to make a reference to slavery in America to make your point about islands? Don't you think it trivializes the Black American experience a little to compare it to a card game? Do you honestly feel it was necessary to reference to affirmative action to make your point about Lightning Angel? If so, feel free to defend those choices. You have a big microphone here and your words reflect on all of us who contribute to the blog.

Tabasco said...

People are stupid

I can't believe any of you honestly think that people at GU are saying racist things and meaning them. At least, if they do mean what they are saying, truly mean them, then I must not know these people. Or you don't know these people. Or none of you have a fucking sense of humor.

Is it inappropriate? or immature? Yes, of course it is. You have to realize that half of the people who go to GU are in high school, and about another half are in their 20's or 30's. That is quite an age difference.

I enjoy the environment at GU, it is too bad you can't get over your supposed hatred for the place.

TooSarcastic said...

Man, a guy goes on vacation and all hell breaks loose. I am very glad Jonathan chose to comment on the conversation- to me his comments appeared empathic and rational. I wish Fugie had not pulled his posts, in part because they are a valuable body of work discussing theoretical points to the game that will have value for years to come, and also in part because I have no idea the context (or even most of the comments) that caused the whole drama to begin with. CBG has done what he thinks is right and I will stand with him when it comes to pushing for a safe place (for all) to weigh in about Magical topics. From a purely practical prespective, my rule of thumb (totally politically incorrect term, BTW) is that I'd rather err on the side of too aggressively defending a person who is different than the other way around- history has a way of frowning on folks who do otherwise. In reference to Tabasco's post, I will simply say that there is no reason that a game store needs to be either inapropriate or immature. Nor would I say I enjoy playing in such a place, even though it si still the best place to play Magic in MKE. When we started going up to Cav Games I noticed an immediate difference in the way younger players acted. It made me totally rethink what we have to put up with at GU. There seem to be a lot of people, young and old, who think that being friends with someone demands acting like an asshole to them. I often wonder if certain kids branded with "nicknames" like Fat Kid even know that they shouldn't have to put up with such bullshit just to hang out with people who say they are friends. I don't like to imagine what hearing such things all the time does to a person inside, but from the sound of his rebuttal post, Fugie has an idea of what it feels like. I think that the people who read and contribute to this blog to make a lot of good change within the world we inhabit simply by resisting the temptation to be assholes, racist or otherwise. Being a giant flaming asshole, I know that this is a difficult challenge. But CBG is right, what we write here (and say IRL) is always a megaphone. That's my 2 cents at least.

Jen said...

Fascinating conversation guys. For those who may be flabbergasted, exasperated, claiming to not understand what the big deal is, or why marginalized, minority, or oppressed people don't 'stand up' for themselves, you may benefit from the experience of being a minority for a period of time. Many white male (and female) Americans have never had this opportunity, and until you have this experience, you're just not going to 'get it' nor will you have the capacity to truly understand the significance of what CBG is saying. Oh, and a little brush-up on the history of colonization and imperialism might be helpful too. Just saying...

Jonathan Brostoff said...

Tobasco,

Fact:
Dave Chappelle = funny.
Fact:
David Duke = Not Funny.

I'm glad you enjoy the environment at GU, in fact I think you are the prefect type of a person who would enjoy it.

It seems to not only fit your play skill well, but also your personality, humor, values and sensibilities.

Literally every day I give thanks to G-d that I live in America. A country where people can have different opinions tastes, interests, etc.

If one chooses to go to a place where racist jokes, nasty comments, snide remarks, and yelling are the norm that is his/her G-d given right to choose. On the other hand, if someone values "fun" play, a nicer atmosphere, more laid back people and can't stand racist comments than by all means, that person too has a right to choose his/her own place of play.

It is not a value judgment, and I have never said that someone who chooses differently than the choices I make is a bad person, "stupid" or whatever. Just different values/priorities.

All that being said, I think, for the most part, the people who I interact with on the magic scene (including those who I know on here) are phenomenal and I have been blessed to know/play with yah'll.

I hope that this can be a positive experience and that we can all take something away that we maybe didn't think about in a particular way before.

Peace out,
-Jonathan

Tabasco said...

If you believe in God, why do you censor it with a dash?

Jonathan Brostoff said...

Tobasco,

While I appreciate you jumping to the conclusion of censorship, I also appreciate you asking for a clarification even more.

Basically, it's a sign of respect. In Judaism there is a lot of value placed on words (written and verbal) and the idea that G-d's name can potentially be profaned (destroyed, erased, etc) is not an issue if you don't fully write it. Hence the dash.

Below are a few online references for the above stated principle:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_Jewish_people_use_the_word_G-d_instead_of_God

http://www.askmoses.com/en/article/419,2232855/Why-do-many-people-write-God-with-a-dash-G-d.html

http://www.wisegeek.com/why-do-jews-write-g-d-instead-of-god.htm

Word,
-Jonathan