Tuesday, September 2, 2008

House of Cards

I am trying to make this post consist of more than an apology for lack of content. In a past post I might have mentioned that house hunting is like a part time job. If that is true then buying a house is a full time job. I know it will be done with soon (assuming nothing "interesting" pops up during the home inspection or the bank appraisal) but man, there's like ten or twelve things that need to be done- NOW. Putting an offer in prior to a three day weekend was probably not the wisest of decisions, either.

The bottom line, if you haven't spotted it yet, is that I have been Magic free this weekend (although Harley Fest was worth skipping a draft for). Also, Fugie scooped up the topic of the new Banned and Restricted lists, (also I would have been talking out my ass about them anyway) so no joy there. We will try to strike pay dirt elsewhere.

Fugie also mentioned a regional banned list for EDH, citing Time Stretch winning games, often unfairly. I can't argue that. But hasn't the problem with those turn-taking combo decks always been the consistency? I mean there's a reason that Fugie was excited about getting his Capture of Jingzhou; it's an extra Time Walk in a singleton format. Obviously recursion pieces can also be duplicated as well. I guess my question isn't whether Time Stretch should be banned, but how much of a difference banning that one card would make. Just asking.

I am also very excited that we will be returning to the traditional block formula of one large set and two small sets. This is mostly because I have some unrealistic vision of drafting with packs from three different sets as more "pure" than having to draft with two packs from a large set. Also, there was a beauty to the fact that when you really wanted cards from the large set, you got three packs worth. Then, later, you only get two, so you could finish off your collection that was still missing while adding the second set's booster. By the time the third set rolled around and I'm sick of the large set, I only have to look at a single pack worth. Another positive of the three set block is that the draft format is shaken up two times in the block, not just once, like when Morningtide and Eventide were added. It makes the draft experience new again without necessitating an entirely new card pool. The only downside to the traditional block structure is that us drafters often collect less of the third set. I usually spend more money buying boosters of the third set (in a non-draft setting) than the others for this reason.

Finally, if there are any Magic players who are interested in house music I am probably going to be heading out on Friday night to catch a show at Three, a MKE night club. Some good DJs will be spinning there (John, from the Sound Republic, Chris Grant, and my neighbor from down the street Mr. Timms). It might be fun (read: amusing) to watch ol' TooSarcastic jumping up and down and shaking it on the dance floor. I was at Three last night with the Old Lady and we got two for one Absolut drinks- and it was after midnight. I don't know if the drinks are as economical on Fridays, but we were good and liquored up for cheap.

T

3 comments:

Scoop_Phase said...

What city did you pick to live in TS?

coyoeuglly said...

The thing with Time Stretch vs 5 Mana Time Walks is a few things:

1. Capture + Eternal Witness + Crystal Shard is probably easiest and cheapest way to recur. Three cards + 9 mana every turn is a lot of work.

2. Time Stretch gives you a free turn to find a way to get Stretch back.

3. Time Stretch essentially is:

A. +20 mana
B. +2 draw two cards
C. +2 land drops
D. +2 attack steps
F. +1 unmolested turn

Capture is:

A. +5 mana
B. +1 card drawn
C. +1 land drop
D. +1 attack step

One of these is obviously way better than the other.

To clarify, +1 unmolested turn is at its essence, an entire turn to find a way to recur Stretch. Than STILL able to have a turn to untap and play it.

The five mana Time Walks, may in fact prove to be broken. I've talked with Edd before about this. My opinion on Stretch is simply to ban ONLY Stretch, than wait two to three months. This will give people a chance to explore options that simply are inferior to Stretch.dec. Also nothing has proven to be close to the power level of Time Stretch yet.

I didn't bring this up to Edd at the time, but I would also propose instituting a watch list. I'm not really sure what should be on the watch list. Mostly because nothing has proven to be as format defining as Stretch yet.

At the last PTQ I went out of my way to ask a lot of people about EDH. The most common bitched about cards were Mindslaver and Sensei's Diving Top (time reasons).

Personally I do not see Slaver as broken. But more of an unfun card. It is just not fun to not be able to take your turn. But at the same time I do not think cards should be banned simply because they are unfun, but not broken.

TooSarcastic said...

We're going to be in South Milwaukee, Scoops, about five minutes east of you, on the other side of the Oak Creek. We're a block west of Grant Park.