Sunday, October 3, 2010

Tabasco's first Scars draft

Ok, so I finally get a chance to draft the set and upon opening my pack decide what strategy I want to employ. I opened on Geth, Lord of the Vault (must be nice). Yes! I am definitely in black, but do I still try for the poison deck or just play my bomb and pick other good cards? Geth is the kind of card that goes in an infect of a non-infect deck because his ability to stall the board is so good 5/5 walls that mill your opponent are fine especially since I get to take stuff in the process. My next few picks are solid artifacts and I start to develop a solid metalcraft strategy. I will post the list and then go over a few choices I had to make building the deck.

Memnite
Vedalken Certarch
Plated Seastrider
Disperse
Culling Dais
Leaden Myr
Perilous Myr
Trinket Mage
Snapsail Glider
Strider Harness
2 Tumble Magnet
Neurok Replica
Chrome Steed
Rusted Relic
2 Bonds of Quicksilver
Lumengrid Drake
Argent Sphinx (foil)
Golem Artisan
Geth, Lord of the Vault
Argentum Armor
Myr Battle Sphere (foil)
6 Swamp
11 Island

Sideboard (only on color cards):

Exsanguinate
Necrogen Scudder
Sky-Eel School
Stoic Rebuttal
Halt Order
2 Instill Infection
Quicksilver Gargantuan
Sylvok Lifestaff (these three
Flight Spellbomb are potential
Origin Spellbomb trinket mage targets)

Yes, that is 5 ridiculous rares I cut the Gargantuan because my high end was already high enough and he is the only one who doesn't quite win the game on his own (Geth, Battlesphere). I opened very well in this draft, P1P1 Geth, P2P1 foil Myr Battlesphere, P3P1 Argentum Armor, I also received the foil Argent Sphinx and Quicksilver Gargantuan P2P2 and P2P3 respectively. I also noticed that it was good I was U/B because all the late commons I was getting were still on color.

I initially chose to run the Bonds of Quicksilver over Instil Infections because they kept a creature tapped that I used tumble magnet on. I boarded the instills against infect deck though. My curve was pretty bad, so I ran things like plated strider to ensure I could get to the late game where (I assume) my bombs would dominate them. I would be interested in hearing what people would have built differently.

Round 1: I played Caleb and he has a pretty good infect deck with solid infecters like Ichor rats and some cystbearers. I end up losing to Contagion Engine + Trigon of Infection after he flooded (turn out those two permanents just win it when I had 1 poison counter from an Ichor rats) I had boarded in my counterspells and instills against him as well as swapped an island for a 7th swamp but it proved to be not enough.

Round 2: I play Garth with a mono-white deck that had some fog effects and solid flyers as well as Golem foundry, I end up winning it with bombs and had a board on turn 4 of one of our games consisting of Vedalken Certarch and 2 Tumble magnets.

Round 3: I play Will with a W/U metalcraft deck. His deck doesn't really have a strong central theme except he has a bunch of stuff that is good with Metalcraft and the same stuff that is bad without. He has a few cute interactions like Neurok Invisomancer + Trigon of rage as well as a few other evasive guys. He also has a Contagion Engine

I end up 2-1 which is good for 1 Pack (kinda lousy), but I lost round 1 and Caleb went 2-1 so he had better tie breaks. I open the Pack and it turns out to be a MOX OPAL!!! turns out it doesn't matter how many packs you get as long as you open a sweet mythic worth some money. I definitely learned that the draft format is not as quick as I thought it was (it doesn't quite rival that of Zendikar). Contagion Engine is stupid good, and slops to the guy who PASSED IT to Caleb. There are only a few cards I can accept being taken over CE and they are all mythic and have the card type planeswalker, maybe Mox Opal although it is worth less than the planeswalkers and doesn't win you the game like they do.

2 comments:

Matt said...

If I am counting right, 13 artifacts... were you able to hit metalcraft as much as you hoped? I found myself short a lot at 12, but one was a spellbomb. YMMV.

Tabasco said...

There are 14 artifacts, although 2 of them cost 6+ (though the battlesphere single-handedly enables metalcraft). I achieved metalcraft everytime except when I got flooded with land. It helps that many of my metacraft cards were artifacts. There were two blue cards that suck without it (Certarch and Drake), while Sphinx is just fine without.