Saturday, October 16, 2010

Agrees with Tabasco

In the case, the agreement would be synergy. I've drafted twice more since the last time we spoke and went 1-2 and 3-0, but both times, I managed to draft a synergistic and powerful deck. Finally. My first 3 drafts in the format netted only 2 match wins between them and I constantly felt like I was missing out during drafting. The key to the format appears to be getting in to the right strategy early on and sticking with it. I have yet to successfully see something "open" and be able to switch into it. There are too many holes to fill without focus. The nice thing about this is you will get some awesome gifts late if the table is likeminded in its focus.

On Thursday night, I drafted what I thought was a killer infect deck, but I lost 1-2 twice to solid midrange/tempo decks that were able to disrupt me just enough to win. I was pretty salty about losing (especially since I had seen the possibility of not being 2-7 in the format anymore) but that's the correct strategy for beating infect so yay.

Last night, I opened Ezuri, Renegade Leader pick one pack one and decided to value Ezuri's Archers and Carapace Forgers highly. I solidified green with Molder Beast and a Slice in Twain, and also grabbed a late Blade-Tribe Berserkers and a very late Turn to Slag. Incidentally, this would put me in conflict with TS who was trying to find colors and eventually played RW. I passed him some solid but unspectacular Black cards in pack one, but by the time he realized it was open, the player to his left was solidly in Black, squeezing him for removal from both ends. Highlights of packs 2 and 3 were double Arc Trail (including a 5th pick!), a Myr Propagator and a total gift Ezuri's Brigade. I filled it out with some mediocre equipment, two mana myrs and the best spellbomb

CreaturesSpellsLand
Blade-Tribe Berserkers
Carapace Forger
Copperhorn Scout
Ezuri, Renegade Leader
Ezuri's Archers
Ezuri's Brigade
Iron Myr
2 Molder Beast
Myr Propagator
Perilous Myr
Silver Myr
2 Sylvok Replica
2 Arc Trail
Galvanic Blast
Horizon Spellbomb
Liquimetal Coating
Slice in Twain
Strider Harness
Sylvok Lifestaff
Tel-Jilad Defiance
Turn to Slag
10 Forest
6 Mountain


I went 6-0 with this deck and while there were a couple close calls, I felt pretty much in control, even after I mulled to 6 in games 5 and 6. It's a very powerful deck. Favorite play was four lands, U Myr and Sylvok Lifestaff in play, tap 3 to play Strider Harness, tap Forest to play Copperhorn Scout, tap the Myr to attach Strider Harness, attack for 2, untap the Myr, use the Myr attach the Lifestaff in second main. Close second was Turn 6 hasty 9/9 trampler (Ezuri's Brigade with Strider Harness and metalcraft) with the promise of more to come since Ezuri, Repeatable Overrun was on the table. Yay for winning a draft for once.

No comments: