Sunday, October 10, 2010

"Synergy" is the strongest draft archetype

This week I am back with a deck I went 3-0 with in a 6 man draft (I wish we had gotten 2 more) because my deck was streamlined and synergistic. First the list and then some interactions.

Sylvok Lifestaff
Kuldotha Rebirth
Galvanic Blast
Liquimetal Coating
2x Shatter
Revoke Existance
Myrsmith
2x Perilous Myr
Contagion Clasp
Arc Trail
2x Ferrovore
Furnace Celebration (foil)
Vulshok Replica
Arrest
Rust Tick
Chrome Steed (foil)
Oxxida Scrapmelter
Golem Artisan
Saberclaw Golem
Wurmcoil Engine
10 Mountain
7 Plains

There are a few things going on here that are awesome, Liquimetal Coating is by far the MVP of the deck, and every time it was in play I won. It really shone when it turned my 2 Shatters, Revoke Existance, and Scrapmelter into Vindicates as well as allowing me to lock down any permanent with Rust Tick. It also served as a way to turn lands into fodder for Ferrovore and the Kuldotha Rebirth. Speaking of Ferrovore, he is why synergy is important. In a vacuum he is just a grey orge with and ability to trade one of your permanents for 3 damage, but when you throw in Furnace Celebration and 2 mana you get a shock in as well, you start to build incremental advantage. If that artifact happens to be Perilous Myr, you turn 2R into 7 damage, 4 of which can be used as 2 shocks or even go straight to the face.

I was lucky enough to begin the draft with Wurmcoil Engine, and picked up early removal, of which this deck has 4 removal spells (not counting the shatter effects). The solid removal allowed me to survive long enough for some Golems to clean up. Luckily my first pack paid for the draft even if I hadn't won, and it is even sweeter that I did.

No comments: