Sunday, September 26, 2010

Scars Pre-release, or how I punted with my above average pool

So the pool I opened for the Midnight Pre-release at Silver Spring Hobby was pretty solid. My black was the strongest with good removal and a bomb flyer, red had 2 shatters but not much else to mention, white had a very aggressive curve with 2 Glint Hawks a Glint hawk Idol as well as the stat-boosting enchantment Tempered Steel. I built the deck playing Black and Red to play my good removal and some shatters and ended up playing higher-costed mediocre red cards instead of my aggressive white curve. I was enthralled with infect but had infecters that were better in a draft deck than a sealed pool, but chose to play them anyway because infect excites me, and it was late. I also hadn't laid out the white cards because of time building constraint so I decided to run what I had. I started off 2-0 but then finished out 0-3 ending up with no prize and left to get home and sleep before working later that afternoon. The following evening I reevaluated my pool and found that had I played B/W I would have had much more synergy as well as a very aggressive deck.

The rares in my pool were: Tempered Steel, Genesis Wave, Liege of the Tangle, Carnifex Demon, Ratchet Bomb, and Nim Deathmantle.

Here is what I should have played:

2 Glint Hawk
Salvage Scout
Horizon Spellbomb
Ratchet Bomb
Nim Deathmantle
Leaden Myr
Iron Myr
Glint Hawk Idol
Contagion Clasp (foil)
Bladed Pinions
Auriok Edgewright
Auriok Sunchaser
Tempered Steel
Dispense Justice
2 Moriok Replica
Rusted Relic
Skin Render
Flesh Allergy
Trigon of Corruption
Glimmerpoint Stag
Bleak Coven Vampires
Carnifex Demon
16 Land

This version of the deck plays the aggressive metalcraft cards and the equipment card I didn't fit into my other deck. Glimmerpoint Stag, Salvage Scout, and the Glint hawks allow me to reuse or reset my Contagion Clasp, Ratchet Bomb, and Trigon of Corrupton. Stag has added synergy with Bleak Coven Vampires and Skinrender, as well as adding more counters to Carnifex Demon for more -1/-1 counter distribution. I think if I had played this build I could have been 4-1 since I doubt even this could have defeated Caleb's pool (Koth of the Hammer, Mox Opal, Argent Sphinx). Not only did he open ~$100 in cards, but he also went undefeated (giving me my first loss in round 3).

Overall I think it was a great night, had fun and learned many things about SOM limited. I also learned that the sealed format is defined by bombs. I lost to Koth, Sword of Body and Mind, Darksteel Juggernaut, and Putrefax). I also faced opponents who each had 1 of the 3 different planeswalkers in the set. CBG had Elspeth in R1, Caleb had Koth in R3, and Bagha had Venser in R4, luckily for me I didn't actually face Elspeth or Venser. Caleb found Koth all 3 games, including punishing my by playing it turn 3 off a myr game 1 for missing my second land drop (I kept a 1 lander with a myr and three other 2 drops in my hand).

Tabasco

No comments: